scan GPM to MM [#15360]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

scan GPM to MM [#15360]

Post by Barry4679 »

Sync GPM -> MM is working well

But I am still unable to get a scan log, and no completion message either ... I do have option ShowScanResultsDialog checked at Tools|Options|Library

The only time I have ever seen the Scan Results dbox was when you had a bug which showed it before the scan started.

Other than that, nothing .... It is required as a GPM -> MM sync updates my db, and I would like to know if there were any errors.

Also, I think that the scan results dbox has a button to show the Scan Log ..... since you produce this log, couldn't you also persist it? ... so that I could access the latest log using MM's File menu? I don't think that it is good enough to have just a one-time off to view it the Scan Results dbox.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2149 : scan GPM to MM

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I think that showing a "sync log" after each sync operations would be just annoying and undesirable for most of users.
As for the log, you can use DbgView to view the log (as I understand it is not much readable for you -- it is rather for devs).
Nevertheless I think that a log like "x files added, y files skipped (did not match import criteria)" would have zero information, because the same you can see anytime in your library by using the source column to see which files has been matched/imported and which failed to import (as we have already used together many times before -- during debugging and tuning GPM sync).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 am Hi, I think that showing a "sync log" after each sync operations would be just annoying and undesirable for most of users.
Then why not default off option ShowScanResultsDialog at Tools|Options|Library, and that way they would not get annoyed.
Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 am Nevertheless I think that a log like "x files added, y files skipped (did not match import criteria)" would have zero information, because the same you can see anytime in your library by using the source column to see which files has been matched/imported and which failed to import (as we have already used together many times before -- during debugging and tuning GPM sync).
I don't agree. ... Say i have a large library, and I sync to|from GPM ... The wheel spins for a while ... then it stops .. in my case it stops 11:30 minutes later, so I have probably got bored, and gone to make myself a coffee ... how can I recognise whether there were changes in a large library? how do I know whether it got started properly, ie. got past credentials ... whether it did anything ... whether it got finished doing whatever it did ... whether there were any errors ... if so, what and where?

If I do a File|AddRescan you give me a result dbox ... ie. how many files i have got, n files added, n files updated, n files ignored, n files with errors ..... how is that different? .... if you think that it has zero information, why don't you try removing it from the next version of MM, and see what response you get?

Also I just tried your BackupDBNow option from Files|ManageDB ... you gave me a confirmation dbox at the end of the backup ... how is that different to a sync?

IMO there should also be a dbox at the end of OptimiseDB, to assure people of a normal completion.

Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 am Hi, I think that showing a "sync log" after each sync operations would be just annoying and undesirable for most of users.
I am sure I saw a Show Log type button on the dbox that you once showed. ... The sync log was summarised, and clear IIRC.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 am ok, to be implemented
Thank you. If you are still worried that it may be unpopular for some Use Cases, you could put a "don't show this message again" checkbox in the dbox.