Is it safe to use MM5?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

Is it safe to use MM5?

Post by robojock »

Hi,

I am curious to try out MM5 and would like to use it as a replacement for MM4, but i am concerned with the warning message "This is pre-release software and is being provided for feedback/testing and development purposes -- please backup your files to protect against data loss.". I noticed MM5 is out of alpha stage in now in beta stage. What is the worst that can happen if you don't backup?
PetrCBR

Re: Is it safe to use MM5?

Post by PetrCBR »

You don't need to backup ... MM5 uses different folder for data than MM4. Also you can install MM5 as portable version to new folder. Database and settings from MM4 will be imported to MM5 on first run.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
robojock

Post by robojock »

PetrCBR wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm You don't need to backup ... MM5 uses different folder for data than MM4. Also you can install MM5 as portable version to new folder. Database and settings from MM4 will be imported to MM5 on first run.
I am not really concerned about the data from MM4, my concern is my music files.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

It is still in beta stage. The worst thing that can happen is, that it can corrupt your music files. It should not happen, did not happen for a long time even in alpha stage, but backup is always certainty.