Remove option and recycle bin [#15577]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Jaani

Remove option and recycle bin [#15577]

Post by Jaani »

Well, there are times that I prefer to delete my tracks but not from my computer. It's safe to have it in recycle bin first, just the same behaviour as MM4. Is there any settings there? If not, I'd really like to see it in the future.
dtsig

Re: Remove option and recycle bin

Post by dtsig »

right .. delete/remove should go to the recycle bin
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Graves

Post by Graves »

PLEASE don't!!!
If there's one TOTAL unnecessary stupid thing on computers it's Microsoft's statement of how I'm too dumb to decide what to drop anyway. And how well these I/O copy operations are for my actual HDD...
I have to bring out my physical garbage already, plus the SPAM, so just PLEASE spare us the pain!
People can re-rip their CDs, or re-download from Amazon or wherever they've CERTAINLY bought their stuff in the first place.
Or just quit deleting files at random, right?
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

I can understand both use cases. Personally, I wouldn't mind if MediaMonkey bypasses the recycle bin and permanently deletes files as I can always restore them from a backup, but I can see why you might prefer files going to the recycle bin instead.
Accidents happen, and there's no reason not to have an additional safety net that could prevent possible data loss, even more so if it is user expectation for the default file deletion behavior in windows.

There's always the option to make the deletion behavior a user setting, either via the settings menu or with an additonal option in the popup dialog when removing a file from the library.
Jaani

Post by Jaani »

No feedback from developers end yet! At least a small script for those who would like to be able to recycle their deleted files?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Read here https://www.easeus.com/recover-deleted- ... files.html where you have two 100% free methods.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Jaani

Post by Jaani »

Method 1. Create a Batch File to Automatically Clean Temp Folder
Method 2. Automatically Delete Temp Files in Windows 10

You mean these methods? I need to be able to recover my deleted tracks from recycle bin. And it's not a good idea to install a recovery software and scan each time! Implementing a piece of code to behave like MM4 is not a big thing, is it?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Then I do not understand what you want to archive. I assumed you wanted to clean Temp folders and recycle bin and not to be able to UNDO Tracks from Recycle bin.

If that is the case then MMW can't control that, only way to undo is to make our own recycle bin. You can imagine how much that would cost me on my 6+TB of Media just to have two undo steps?

I have not suggested that you should install recovery app at all, as it would be opposite to cleaning TEMP and RECYCLE those two methods presents.
Best regards,
Peke
Jaani

Post by Jaani »

Does MM4 undo tracks from Recycle bin? No. MM4 sends removed tracks to the recycle bin and doesn't delete them permanently. User is personally able to recover them if needed. An option to control the behavior satisfies both of agreeing and disagreeing user groups. Or an add on.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

How I'm reading this is, In MM4 remove from Library and computer sends the deleted files to the recycle bin but in MM5 delete from Library and computer deletes them totally so if you make a mistake you cannot just go into the recycle bin and restore the files.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
THX, we were able to replicate behavior. You are right behavior should be consistent with MM versions added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15577
Best regards,
Peke