Auto-organize and copying files question

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Brian Siano

Auto-organize and copying files question

Post by Brian Siano »

I'm giving a friend a copy of a lot of my MediaMonkey library, and I've got Auto-Configure ready to export so he gets the metadata, via subdirectories and filenames. But I have a question.

If I use Auto-Organize to copy my files to a new location, will that copy become my new MediaMonkey library? Or, can I just use the feature to copy the files to a new location, but my original database remains unchanged?
rivorson

Re: Auto-organize and copying files question

Post by rivorson »

In auto-organize, when you select 'Copy files to new destination based on file tags' you then get a check box at the bottom of the window that says 'Add copied files to the library'. If that box is checked then the newly created files are added to your library in addition to the original files. In either case your original files stay in your library in their original location.
Brian Siano

Post by Brian Siano »

Sounds like it'll work, then: copies of my files to a new location, my library stays the same. Thanks!
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Brian Siano wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:01 pm Sounds like it'll work, then: copies of my files to a new location, my library stays the same. Thanks!
Actually, that may not quite be the case. I'm not sure, but your MM database might think that the tracks you used Auto-Organize to copy to a drive that you will be giving to a friend are now found on that drive and be unable to find the originals without using the lost files functionality. You would be best off to experiment on one album to see what happens.
Brian Siano

Post by Brian Siano »

It seems to be doing OK. The files are being copied. The pathnames in my database are staying the same.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

sallenmd87 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:42 pm I'm not sure, but your MM database might think that the tracks you used Auto-Organize to copy to a drive that you will be giving to a friend are now found on that drive and be unable to find the originals without using the lost files functionality.
Auto-organize has the option to either move the files or create a copy. If you choose to move the files then MM will update the file paths in its database, but if copying the files then the original files stay exactly as they are.