Various beginner questions concerning NAS / DLNA

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

heinz

Various beginner questions concerning NAS / DLNA

Post by heinz »

Dear All,

I am interested in a NAS system and DLNA streaming via MediaMonkey.

Following information:
I have a single PC (win 10), which I can only connect wirelessly with my Hifi Equipment.
On my PC i have MediaMonkey installed, using currently a Bluetooth aptx transmitter for the PC and for my HiFi amplifier a Blutooth aptx receiver in order to play music per MMW from the PC (a new HiFi amplifier - Cambridge CXA81 - is ordered, which has its own Bluetooth receiver)
There is already a thread opened by me "Configuration of SMB server", this one:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=95647
At the end of this conversation, I come now to the conclusion to buy a NAS server and use it with DLNA.

After reading a lot here about DLNA, there are various questions remaining:

1) Can is connect the NAS server with my PC or with my future amplifier per USB? (what would be the best?). I have read often to connect the server with the wireless router, which is in my situation not fine and I would like to avoid.
2) If I have all my files, which are a lot ( > 250.000 mp3 & FLAC), on the NAS server, which is connected with PC or HiFi amplifier, can I still use MMW with the PC ( I do not want to use different apps)
3) Is MMW able to index this huge coollection of music files with a NAS server configuration.
4) Are there other points to be considered as a beginner.

Hope, explanations are clear enough to give some information concerning the questions above.
My target is: best audio quality possible.

Thanks a lot for your input in advance and best regards
heinz
Lowlander

Re: Various beginner questions concerning NAS / DLNA

Post by Lowlander »

1) NAS connects to network, wired is best. There are USB storage devices, but a NAS is Network Attached Storage, thus designed to connect to network instead of via USB to another device.

2) Yes, NAS can be used as a simple storage device where you store your files. MediaMonkey can access files stored on a NAS just like it would access local files. Make sure you access the files from the File Server (UNC Path) instead of the Media Server (DLNA) on the NAS.

3) Yes, NAS will make file access a little slower as it runs over the network instead of a local drive, but as music files are relatively small this generally is not an issue.

4) To RAID or not to RAID on the NAS (see manufacturer for instructions). RAID can build in failure protection. This means that if a disc fails you don't loose your files (depending on RAID chosen). You do loose capacity in this scenario.
heinz

Post by heinz »

I feared that there will be some additional questions for my understanding, which are here (sorry, but want to understand the complete "story"):

Concerning point 1):
Assuming the PC and the NAS server are connected wireless via DLNA AND the NAS Server is connected per cable (optical or USB, which would be the best?) with the HiFi amplifier. MediaMonkey from PC is than just used to start playing music, but the NAS server sends it wired to the PC.
Hope my understanding is correct, but would this not be the best option for best audio quality output in the given scenario?

Perhaps first this point for me to clarify (might come new questions, hope you "enjoy....")

Thanks for help and best regards
heinz
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not aware of NAS that can connect directly to an Amp. Some higher end have HDMI out, but they're generally only meant for storage of files. You'd still use MediaMonkey to get playback on the Amp, but the files will come from the NAS.
heinz

Post by heinz »

hhmm, when I ask for wireless connections: Nearly everybody is recommending DLNA compared to Bluetooth, even if i have Bluetooth 4.2 and higher.
Last weekend I have made a test (had one Amp for testing with aptx HD included):
1) Connecting the PC and Amp via Toslink (> 12 meter)
2) Connecting the PC per Bluetooth Transmiter to the Amp, which has the capabilities to receive Bluetooth 4.2 internally (and a rather good DAC)
3) Connecting the PC per Bluetooth Transmitter to a Bluetooth receiver and per cable (Toslink) to the Amp.

Result was, and my friends as well as me heared the difference: option 1, for sure, the best sounding alternative, if one is looking for HiFi sound.
Next place in ranking was option 2), option 3) was terrible.....
But in case 1) I have to drill a hole in the floor downwards from the PC position in my living room, going to the other side of the house in the cellar and drill the next hole upwards to my living room in order to connect with my Amp (whow, English....).
I would do this, but if there are alternatives with same audio quality in sound, would be great to know before this action.

What is, if I connect my NAS, still to be bought, wired with the PC and add to this scenario an Amp, which is able to handle DLNA?

Hope, my questions are not too crazy, but there seem to be a lot of possiblities......if one is looking for best sounding alternatives

Advice needed.... thanks.
heinz
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA has the ability to stream the file as-is to the DLNA client. Thus it can have the same fidelity as the Toslink connection. Bluetooth on the other hand can't handle lossless and instead uses lossy streaming thus isn't able to achieve the same fidelity. If you can hear this can be debated and would depend on the quality of equipment and the listener.

MediaMonkey on the PC can act as the intermediary between the files on the File Server on the NAS and the DLNA client used for playback. You can also use it to stream via Bluetooth (if PC has this ability). The NAS itself will likely also have DLNA capability meaning a DLNA client can stream directly from the DLNA Server on the NAS.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not sure if Lowlander tried but QNAP for example have ability to play tracks locally thru HDMI or Using USB SoundCard (Tried few and they worked) so in QNAP Music Station I can choose Local output, also MMS (Free MediaMonkey server Edition) works on most NAS, but it is still in very early Alpha stage, but work playing tracks from your browser.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts