Fully synced but resulting in a mess

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Springsteenfan

Fully synced but resulting in a mess

Post by Springsteenfan »

I ran my sync overnight - 433GB. Waking up to tracks not copied over. Artists incorrectly named. I tag mine like Beach Boys, The. With artists with "the" prefacing, so not only has it dropped the capital, but it's also at the start of the artists name. Artwork not copied over.
I know that all were tagged with "The" at the back of the name as I went through all 433GB chnaging them, and the ones that appear in the middle i.e. Adam and The Ants. I also know that artwork was installed on all of them as I changed over from 300x300 to 500x500. Even looking quickly through the "Artists & Album Artists" section I can see that some songs are doubled up when they are not, in the main listing. Also going via the size of my SD Card 512GB with 500 free, I should have been left with 67 GB free, I have 43.2GB free.
Any idea what's gone wrong, why art has been left off, artists incorrectly named. Thanks

Also I looked in MM and music and there seemed to be zero files.
Lowlander

Re: Fully synced but resulting in a mess

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW did you use and what device did you sync to? Did you do a wifi or USB sync?

Is the issue with the Artist tag or the Folder/Filenames on the device and what App are you using on the device?
Springsteenfan

Post by Springsteenfan »

MMW version 4.1.27.1897 synced to Samsung Galaxy A10 via USB

The issue seems to be with one part of the artist tag. I use and have only ever used Tag & Rename version 3.9.15
I have checked the artists and songs it says have no artwork, but when I open up Tag it clearly shows the artwork embedded into the file. What confused me most was the fact there seems to be no MP3 files on my phone. yet, if I look on my Samsung Galaxy J3 it shows MP3 files. So, a) how do I clear my SD card b) will a simple copy & paste job do the same thing? Or would that confuse it for syncing for updating the main program for counts and stars?

Sorry to be a pain but this driving me nuts.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sometimes there are multiple ways to write the Artist tag, so you may have updated one and not the other (depends on software used). The App on the phone could also matter. Does MediaMonkey (MMW) show the Artist value correctly?
Springsteenfan

Post by Springsteenfan »

Hi Lowlander,

First many thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out. Yes, the Value in MMW shows all artists like The Police, The Eagles etc as Police, The; Eagles, The.
I have gone back into my E Drive, where I keep all my music tracks. I have opened up all the albums and gone deeper into the tagging and have filled in the "Album Artist" which is it seems is a different tag to the "Artist" tag. Having done this it's shown quite a few with "The" in front of the artists name. They have all been edited correctly.
The question is if I set it to sync will it make these changes correctly? Will it drop off albums I have since removed? And songs that for some reason got doubled added. Reason I'm asking is last time I tried to sync it asked me if I wanted to sync as there wasn't much room left.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, there are 2 Artist values MediaMonkey uses. Artist which are the Artist performing the Track and Album Artist which is the Artist the Album belongs to.

Changing tags in MMW and resyncing should sync those changes to your device.

By default MMW won't remove files from devices on sync if they're removed from MMW. You'll need to change the delete option in the Device Profile to all media files.
Springsteenfan

Sync won't start even after reboot, and rebooting phone

Post by Springsteenfan »

I'm having a bit of an issue syncing. I followed these steps to sync. Tools>Options>Portable Device Sync> Galaxy A10 - Card (1)>Configure>Auto-Sync(-->Device)
then made sure Location HD:Music(E:) was ticked>OK>OK Options

But nothing happens. I restarted my phone several times, basically after each attempt to sync failed. Also sometimes it shows a bat at the bottom with 430GB's of Audio on the disk, yet not possible as the sync hadn't run.

Is it possible to copy and paste my files over as I don't really want another night of my PC running overnight again. And I wonder when I set it to sync on other days whether it will start from scratch again and add files already added back in.
Peke

Re: Sync won't start even after reboot, and rebooting phone

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Based on your "Galaxy A10 - Card (1)" It really looks ike you have a mess as that implies you have multiple profiles for same device.

How many devices you have in Options -> Devices?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

If you have Samsung Galaxy A10 plugged via USB then you should see the device directly in the media tree and configure the sync-list there.

If you select the tracks > right-click > Send to > Samsung Galaxy A10 ... does this work ?
Springsteenfan

Re: Sync won't start even after reboot, and rebooting phone

Post by Springsteenfan »

Peke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 am Hi,
Based on your "Galaxy A10 - Card (1)" It really looks ike you have a mess as that implies you have multiple profiles for same device.

How many devices you have in Options -> Devices?
When I plug in my phone and go to Devices for some weird reason it shows both my kindle Fire and Oasis 3, even though they are not plugged in, nor have they ever been synced to my pc, sure I've move books across via USB, but nver synced my entire library via USB in one go. Even more oddly it actually had this card (2) card (1) card. I unticked 1 & 2 and have synced to the card.
Springsteenfan

Post by Springsteenfan »

Ludek wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:44 pm If you have Samsung Galaxy A10 plugged via USB then you should see the device directly in the media tree and configure the sync-list there.

If you select the tracks > right-click > Send to > Samsung Galaxy A10 ... does this work ?
That didn't even show on the tree, the only way was via the devices and see it slowly add them. It's been running for about three hours so far on decent spec built pc and has moved only 2130 tracks across. Which works out at roughly 48 hours non-stop or for my pc time about 8 days!!!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

You were syncing via USB and the device is not shown in the tree?
So then the profile is probably disabled in Options.

Go to Options > Portable Device Sync > and see the 'Show' columns
Are all the checkboxes cjecked there? If not check them and the device should appear in the tree.
You can then also use right-click > Send to > Device
Springsteenfan

Post by Springsteenfan »

Hmm, strange. Yesterday I started syncing my music I had 21000~ tracks out of 35138 synced before I had to stop for the night. Started up again this morning and it said it was about 30000 tracks. I stopped to check it was syncing ok. It wasn't. I had two tracks with strange numerical Album Artist codes. So I checked who they were. On MMW it clearly shows the correct Album Artists not the strange codes it shows on MMA. I checked back through via Tag & Rename, again the correct Album Artists show.
Then starting again, and first it says there's not enough room on the card, and then shows the tracks total as 32479, which again is wrong. In the tree on the left hand side it shows my phone Galaxy A10 beneath that it shows Galaxy A10 Card (2) and a tree beneath that is Music, Videos, Audiobooks, Podcasts, Folders.
Also a lot of Album Artwork is not showing despite the fact the entire Album has been synced over.

Followed what you said Ludek and tried right-click>send to >device, except if I right-click on the Galaxy A10 card I get three options Auto-sync, rename, options.
If I put my courser on the Folder E (where my music is) it shows the correct 35138 total tracks.
So why is not doing as it should be?
Syncing over wi-fi would be slower - I think - and not really an option. So if all this is messing around would copy & paste work?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I didn't meant right-clicking the "Galaxy A10 card" node, I mean right-click tracks (or a playlist) in your library > Send to > Galaxy A10

For some Android devices the USB/MTP access is unreliable and slow (which is probably your case). In that case mostly also Windows Explorer is frozen and cannot access the files via USB properly. And probably this could be also the reason why the duplicate device profile like "Galaxy A10 card (2)" was created -- MMW probably couldn't read the info about profile key properly and probably created the dupliacted profile. It also probably somehow failed to read the content (or MMA database) and thinks that the tracks are not there and suggest to copy them all again.

But to confirm my speculation I would need to see debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=341 ):
- start DbgView
- start MMW and plug the device via USB and run the sync until the error with unsufficient space appears, save the log from DbgView and share

Otherwise I think that using Wi-Fi sync could narrow your USB sync troubles.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As Ludek pointed and debug log should show, I would also like to see Full MM screenshot with Portable devices list from MM options as front dialog. It will tell a lot what was going on.

You can do a small test:
1. Close MM
2. Backup MM.DB from "c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\" (Type it in address bar if you do not see AppData folder)
3. Connect Your Samsung
4. Open MM
5. Terminate any background tasks (Scans/sync/...)
6. Go to Tools -> Options -> Portable devices
7. Delete/Remove all d_WMDM profiles you can find and all other you do not think you ever used (It will not allow to remove some and that is OK).
8. Close MM.
9. Disconnect Samsung
10. Open MM
11. Connect Samsung
12. Go to Tools -> Options -> Portable devices and see if there is new device

If Yes then Ludek is most likely right and at that point Debug log would be most crucial to let us know what happened.

If No new devices are found then try to sync Samsung by Ludek suggestion. My guess that it would work and if I am right or wrong report back before you delete backed up MM.DB for more instructions as we would like to get to bottom of this and only way is to catch it on system that observes the issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts