Long load times with Windows 10 and real time protection enabled

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

spinorama

Long load times with Windows 10 and real time protection enabled

Post by spinorama »

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home and am using the latest Mediamonkey version (4.1.26.1896) on desktop. I also have MagicNodes installed.

Mediamonkey is really slow to load on startup and also when navigating between different playlists and artists. Before the upgrade to Windows 10 everything worked fast and smooth. Now it's taking 20 seconds for playlists to load when switching between them. And it freezes up alot. Pretty annoying.

I've researched the forum and see there's an issue with real time protection on Windows 10 causing this slowdown. If I disable that, Mediamonkey works like it should. The problem is, it can only be temporarily disabled. Also if I install another anti-virus program it's supposed to disable the Windows 10 anti-virus/real time protection but it actually doesn't seem to, as it still acts like real time protection is enabled, even though it says it's off.

So my question is, is there a workaround to getting Mediamonkey to work properly on Windows 10? It seems like there's no way to fix this problem since real time protection can only be temporarily disabled, and installing new anti-virus program doesn't actually totally turn off the built in real-time protection in Windows 10. So Mediamonkey is slow either way.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH A SOLUTION, THANKS :)
maxx420

Re: Long load times with Windows 10 and real time protection enabled

Post by maxx420 »

i'm getting the same thing , if you find any solutions let me know
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is known issue with MagicNodes Script Defender Real-Time protection, unfortunately not related to MMW core functionality.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Indeed, this problem is observable with the freely available versions of Magic Nodes and RegExp Find & Replace add-ons. However, it is not caused because of any bug in these add-ons, but because of the bug in the Windows Defender on Windows 10. There are some workarounds and solutions to this problem mentioned on the web pages of these add-ons. However, since this bug is in MS software, it is recommended that you report it directly to MS.

You could find how this bug is in MS software itself in my report posted here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... 29&lc=1033

You could copy the VBScript code that I posted on that page and save it as VBS file, then you could test it with the Real-Time Protection turned on and off and you will see the difference in the speed of execution. That VBScript code doesn't have anything with MediaMonkey or my add-ons, i.e. it is completely independent of them, and it is just a test proof that Windows Defender has a bug with any script using MatchCollection object.

By the way, I got reports about slow startup caused by my add-ons, but nobody reported slower navigation between different playlists and artists. You should try that again with Magic Nodes installed and uninstalled. Unfortunately, I don't have Win10, so I cannot test it by myself.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
maxx420

Post by maxx420 »

So..... I'm CLAPPING BACK......(hope you understand the term)......but every thing that has been mentioned to fix the bug/problem sounds very complicated to attempt being that i'm not so computer savie, so any advice is always appreciated ........ :wink: :wink: :wink: but ant directions to be able to fix a bunch of BUGS/Problems ( for me that is ) would have to have very DETAILED as in "step by step" directions cause what was mentioned as a possible FIX ......I'm sure i'm not the only one out here that feels this way.

if you think you can help me let me know and i'll tell you all of the problems ( i can count at least 4 or 5 ) and just earlyer this morning i screwed up the way it was displayed ......i'll let you know.....

THANKS and have a happy "420" day everybody

(by the way it my birthday today to).....LOL :) :) :) :-? :-? :-? :-?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Solutions are not to use Windows 10, not to use Windows Defender or not to use the Addons (which would be a shame). In other words there is no solution other than being patient.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

No, I am not suggesting not to use Windows 10, not to use Windows Defender or not to use the Addons. There are applicable solutions or at least workarounds for this situation that I have mentioned on the add-on's web pages:
"You could do any of the next things:
* leave your complain on {Microsoft site}, because every new report will increase the chance that the folks at Microsoft will do something about the problem; or
* turn off Real-Time Protection of Windows Defender (Control Panel / Windows Defender / Tools / Options / Real-time protection) and use some another anti-malware instead; or
* keep installed as few Magic Nodes masks as possible since this slow down is related to the number of installed masks:
* * during installation of the add-on, skip installation of all predefined masks; or
* * after installation, remove masks that you don't need using Manage Magic Nodes dialog box; or
* donate to me and you will receive the enhanced version of the add-on that do not have this problem."

The OP mentioned just one problem, being slow startup, which was already detected and confirmed long time ago. The other problem spinorama mentioned with slower navigation between playlist caused by my add-ons nobody reported before, and I doubt it is really caused by my add-ons. If you have any other problem that you find that are manifesting only with my add-ons, please report it in their respective threads, and please be very specific in describing it.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

I can confirm that installation of MagicNodes on my Win10 MediaMonkey 4.1.28.1905, with adding ALL MagicNodes upon install, made it so that clicking from one Playlist to another takes 9 seconds. Every time. Even going back and forth between two playlists takes 9 seconds each click.

Uninstalling MagicNodes returned things back to normal... basically instant Playlist display.