Language code XXX not xxx in Custom Comments Frames

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

cdemeillon

Language code XXX not xxx in Custom Comments Frames

Post by cdemeillon »

I have seen a few topics on the XXX language code used on the Custom Fields COMM frames.
Whilst I understand the reasoning behind using XXX, would it be possible to use lower case letters xxx instead, as uppercase letters are not compliant?
Peke

Re: Language code XXX not xxx in Custom Comments Frames

Post by Peke »

Hi,
they should not be case sensitive. From my tests MM recognize both.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cdemeillon

Re: Language code XXX not xxx in Custom Comments Frames

Post by cdemeillon »

Understood, and you are correct, but the id3v2.3/4 standard specifies that language codes should be represented ISO-639-2 three character language codes (id3_dot_org/d3v2.3.0 see the third last paragraph of point 3.3), which in turn recommends language codes to be lowercase, though they should be considered case-insensitive (www.loc_dot_gov/standards/iso639-2/faq.html#21), so technically uppercase should be OK but practically it would be more compatible with other software if it was lowercase, just like the ISO-639-2 list itself.
in fact, using und (undetermined) might actually be the most correct approach as XXX is not a valid language code?

That's just my two cents worth, I understand that changing it is complex and brings with it a host of challenges...