Rescanning a folder containing .m4a files says it can't find the files [#16710][#16719]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

calonzo

Rescanning a folder containing .m4a files says it can't find the files [#16710][#16719]

Post by calonzo »

Build 1905

If I have some .m4a files in my library, and I choose to Rescan Folders, it tells me the files "could not be found in their expected locations". It is not just one folder.

This does not happen to .mp3 files.

Is it reading the option for Ripping CDs to only look at .mp3 file? It shouldn't matter.

If I could upload a screen shot, I can show you that they do exist on my computer in the correct location and I can play them.

Chris
Lowlander

Re: Rescanning a folder containing .m4a files says it can't find the files

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Paths of the files listed that it can't find. The Path may not be the same as the files you're scanning (maybe there were renamed outside of MediaMonkey). Anytime files have been renamed/moved outside of MediaMonkey this message will popup on scanning (if setting to do so is enabled) that the files can no longer be located in the location the database has for the files.
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

I am able to play the files in MediaMonkey, so the location must be correct. This happens for any .m4a file.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do the files in the Library (when opened from the Music Collection in MediaMonkey) play or fail to play? The Path seems to match the files on your PC.
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

Yes, they play.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then capture the rescanning in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

The link below contains the log file and 2 screenshots. This time I was able to to see duplicate tracks even after inserting the first CD which never happened before. The first screenshot shows that, and the second screenshot shows after the second CD is inserted.

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gou0k6augfus ... xz-ua?dl=0[/url]

Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am not able to replicate. Can you please try to install latest MMW version viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54426&sd=d on top of existing?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

Sorry, I attached the wrong logs. That was for a different issue. I installed the latest debug version and tried it again. Issue still occurs. This time I played the song while I rescanned the folder.

Here are the correct logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lsg4ptmqyoxk ... gC_fa?dl=0

Chris
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

I noticed this in the log:

00000396 58.49987030 [12280] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Users\Chris\Music\Fitz & The Tantrums\More Than Just a Dream (Deluxe Version)\
00000397 58.50089645 [12280] AddToDatabaseRec: File or Directory is HIDDEN, do not scan it into library

But it is not hidden, although Windows says it is Read-Only, and it won't let me remove the checkbox. But it also says all of the folders in my Music folder are Read-Only. I have no idea why. But this doesn't happen to .mp3 files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can confirm that on rescanning a file already in the Library that is now hidden that MediaMonkey will think that it's missing: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16710

Make sure that the not only the files aren't set to hidden, but also the folders containing the M4A files aren't set to hidden. Not sure why you can't change the Read-Only option.
calonzo

Post by calonzo »

I tried everything I could find to fix the ReadOnly issue, but failed. Lots of people on the internet are complaining about it though.

But it is not hidden. Not sure what's going on there. Did you try with a ReadOnly file?

In any case, are you making a change to ignore the fact that it is hidden, so it will work in my case? If so, that's good enough.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
as pointed in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16710 if You hide folder and then manually rescan it in MM then its content rescanned, If you set files also hidden them MM will respect that. There is no bug Files are really missing and hidden from system.

Only way I can see is that MM ignore system setting and check for physical file existence, which in case of other such settings like permission can slow Scanning at least 50%.

For you the solution would be to Apply hidden to Folder only not files and subfolders (eg. just like AppData is hidden in Users profile folder)

Anyway I have left it open for debate and see if something simple can be implemented.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Re: Rescanning a folder containing .m4a files says it can't find the files [#16710]

Post by Peke »

calonzo wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:24 pm I tried everything I could find to fix the ReadOnly issue, but failed. Lots of people on the internet are complaining about it though.
Having black box in Read-Only check box means that folder or its subfolders contain files that are set Read-Only. Please Note that Some System files are always set as Read-Only and thus you have black box in check mark which is completely normal.
Best regards,
Peke
calonzo

Re: Rescanning a folder containing .m4a files says it can't find the files [#16710]

Post by calonzo »

I still have not found anything that was Hidden.

After trying to fix the ReadOnly issue, I figured I would see what the log said now. And it turns out the log doesn't say anything about the folder being Hidden now. But yet it still doesn't find the files. I did not see anything that stood out to why it doesn't find them.

I tried one other folder, [C:\Users\Chris\Music\Foo Fighters], that has both .mp3s and .m4as. It finds the .mp3s, but not the .m4as. When I look at the log for that folder, I see that it seems to process .mp3s differently than .m4a. Is that a clue?

Here is the log for your viewing pleasure: :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/taxlkup2iecpa ... a.LOG?dl=0

Chris