mma stopped syncing wirelessly

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

terryo

mma stopped syncing wirelessly

Post by terryo »

MMW 4.1.29.1907
MMA 1.3.8.0916
Win 10 fully up to date as of 6/20/20
Android on Samsung S9 fully up to date as of 6/20/20

This just started. Everything has worked beautifully as of my last wireless sync yesterday.

When wireless sync is initiated, MMA returns "Completed with errors"
"Synchronization refused by remote server. Verify that Wi-Fi sync is enabled on the remote server."

Rebooted everything. Double checked for current systems and programs. Even did a wired sync, which worked fine. Nothing changed, same error on wireless sync.

If there is some sort of 'enable wi-fi sync' check box in MMW, I'll be damned if I can find it. Messed with some possible suspects under "Portable Device Sync"

No solution found.
Lowlander

Re: mma stopped syncing wirelessly

Post by Lowlander »

Can UPnP from MMA play files from MMW?

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ork-at-all
terryo

Post by terryo »

I hunted around and found UPnP/DLNA under Media Sharing in the Options menu. The thing that popped out at me is it lists three different IP addresses. So I checked my computer and found none of them match the current address of the computer. How do I get the proper IP address into MMW?

I had to get a new router when I switched internet providers early this year. The new one reshuffles the IP addresses every time it reboots. I only found this out because I kept losing my printer connections and my RAID storage arrays became inaccessible about once a month. I changed everything on the network to fixed IP addresses about 2-3 months ago. Why would MMW sync fine until a few days ago when it has had the wrong IP address for months?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Most likely you had saved settings and it firstly tried to tunnel Sync to save settings and if works it works. why it stopped working I can't tell something changes in your settings.

Have you tried https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ to scan your LAN to see what is there?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
terryo

Post by terryo »

I tried a sync just now and mmw has deleted the three old DHCP addresses and updated itself to the current fixed IP address.

Now the only problem is mma is adding the entire library (3662 songs) when I only added about 100 new songs to my sync selected playlists. Guess I'll try to sort that out when the sync is done in an hour or so.

And I won't try to sync my Galaxy Tab S until I figure out why the S9 phone is doing this. It failed with the same sync error as the phone.
terryo

Post by terryo »

The sync looked perfect. Several days later, I found my phone memory was maxed out and mma had duplicated my entire library in it, even though none of those tracks were accessible in mma. Deleted it via computer and found the sync box was now checked for the phone memory. Unchecked it and mostly things are good.

Except the playlists still don't sync properly, but that's in a different, as yet unresolved thread (which might be left hanging because I understand mma v2.0 is in the works. I hope that fixes it).
terryo

mmw 4.1.29.1910 killed ability to mma sync

Post by terryo »

Loaded mmw 4.1.29.1910 and my two attempts at syncing failed.

I rebooted everything, computer and Samsung phone. On the third attempt to sync, it says "Completed with errors: Synchronization refused..."
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Lowlander

Re: mmw 4.1.29.1910 killed ability to mma sync

Post by Lowlander »

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ork-at-all

Start with trying UPnP in MMA to connect to the MMW server: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... lna-server

In MMW make sure the device is allowed to connect in the media server (Tools > Options > Media Sharing).
terryo

Re: mmw 4.1.29.1910 killed ability to mma sync

Post by terryo »

You know what? MM is becoming decidedly not user friendly. I did nothing other than load an upgrade of mmw to 4.1.29.1910

Everything was working fine* after I recovered from the disconnection caused in the last upgrade. It seems unreasonable for me as a consumer to be regularly wading through forums trying to solve problems I am not creating.

I fully realize that keeping an application afloat in the churning seas of evolving OSes is an arduous and demanding task, but when the problems fall into my lap, it sure is frustrating.

*(mostly fine: playlist sync is still off kilter)
Shutterskull

Post by Shutterskull »

I have the same problem. Upgraded MMW to latest version and now I can't WiFi sync. Have gone through all the steps, nothing works. MMA doesn't even seem to be able to see the server anymore.
Finsternis

Sync server access denied issue

Post by Finsternis »

I can't do a WiFi sync. Yes, I HAVE read the readmes, at least the ones I could find. It's definitely not a basic networking issue. SOMETHING is denying access SOMEWHERE but I can't figure it out.

1) I can access and play all the media on my desktop with the Plex client on both Android and Roku, as well as the default Roku media player app, so UPNP is working and there are no basic networking problems. The network is working and devices on it can see each other.

2) I can't see my android phone in the GUI on the PC desktop unless it is physically plugged in with USB - i.e, MMW doesn't see the phone over WiFi even though they are both connected to the same network. I don't know if it's supposed to show up or not - it sure would be handy. So as of right now the only way I can try to sync is with USB, which NEVER works because I have a whole lot of music and MMW can't even conceive of it or keep the process up long enough for it to finish before something crashes. I've been manually copying music back and forth but that is about as fun as you would imagine.

3) When I go into MMA and pick "UPnP", the desktop serv er shows up on the list and is correctly identified as "MediaMonkey Library." But when I click on it, only one folder comers up and it is named "Access denied."

4) When I press "Sync now" in MMA, an error comes up that says "Syncronization refused by remote server. Verify that WiFi synchronization is enabled on the remote server." Naturally I've checked the setting ten thousand times for my phjone, and it has always had the box checked next to "Grant remote Sync/access rights."

So the server is UP, and MMA can see it, but for some reason some kind of access is being denied somewhere. What could it be?
Lowlander

Re: Sync server access denied issue

Post by Lowlander »

1) Plex can connect to the MediaMonkey Server?

2) MMW only shows USB connected devices.

3) Check the settings in the Media Server settings in MMW (Tools > Options > Media Sharing by configuring the Media Server). Make sure the client is allowed to connect. The settings here are likely causing the problem.
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

1) It's not clear to me which server Plex is connecting to when it connects from my Roku or Android phone because I essentially have two servers running on my desktop (maybe 3?). There is the Plex server, which I believe is just Apache, there is a UPNP server which I assume is MMW, and I do not know if MMW has a separate server just for sync or if that is just UPNP also. So I'm sorry if I was unclear. My intention was just to say that "These things work, so basic networking is functioning."

2) OK, so it only shows USB connected devices. So by extension, all WiFi Syncs must be initiated on the client side, from MMA, not from MMW, is that correct?

3) I agree that it seems these settings are causing the problem, but I can't see why because every single thing I find I set to "allow" or "share" or "automatically allow new ones" and so on.

The ONLY thing I noticed that might possibly be an issue is that I got a new phone recently. I set it up on my network to have the same IP as the old one, but of course it has a different MAC address. In the access log within MMW (it sure would be helpful if it logged WHY access was denied) I can see where connections were allowed from my old phone at IP address X, but when my new phone started using IP address X but with a different MAC address, it started denying. I figured it wouldn't matter since I have it set to automatically accept all new incoming requests, but maybe it got confused. Is there a way to clear some cache or something?

Thanks for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Plex only connects to its own server as far as I know, it doesn't connect to DLNA servers (it just can be a DLNA server, not client). The MediaMonkey UPnP Server should show under whatever name you have configured for it under Media Sharing. If you have multiple servers showing their you can delete all but 1 and configure it to your needs.

2) Yes, wifi sync has to be initiated from MMA.

3) Have you tried removing the device from the devices list in the Media Server settings in MediaMonkey. That hopefully makes a new profile with correct MAC on reconnecting via UPnP (try playing via UPnP in MMA before attempting Sync).
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

For the moment my working theory is that it might not be a MM issue but perhaps could be an OS permission issue with authentication. I did have the MM server installed as a service. Thinking that might be a problem, I played around with all kind of settings for the service itself, but though I learned some stuff I still could not get the wifi sync to happen. In the end I tried just removing the service entirely to see if the same thing happens when just trying to connect to a running instance of MM rather than the installed service. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it makes a difference since I still get the same error even with the service uninstalled. :-(