MM5 window extends into other monitors when maximized [#16804]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Re: MM5 window extends into other monitors when maximized [#16804]

Post by drakinite »

If you have another program open on your second monitor (For example, a web browser), and then maximize MediaMonkey on the first monitor, there should be a black line extending into the second monitor, displaying over the other program. At least that's what I've been experiencing, and that's what the original post was about.

I did notice that sometimes bits of the UI showed up over that black line, but I didn't realize it was due to the window extending across both displays. I figured it wasn't worth including, because if the black bars were fixed, then the associated UI remnants would also be fixed. Sorry if I was unclear.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No black bars here, just a remnant of the window from before maximize.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Wow, that's... weird. Huh.
Well, maybe whatever fixes the UI remnants can also fix the black bars for me. It's weird, but it seems like this extending-into-other-displays problem is common with native apps that use Chromium. Discord and Slack have that issue— However, it's slightly different, because in their case the window itself is spread out larger than the display. (In Discord's case, I often see the unread markers on the left side of the screen cut off)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it maybe the underlying Chromium that has a bug, not MediaMonkey.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I'm sure it's possible to rectify it somehow, though, even if it is - Namely because Slack and Discord only extend a couple pixels at max, and it's not that bad. Maybe through the arguments/flags that Chromium takes when it's launched? Is that something that I'd be able to mess around with in my install files, as with all the frontend javascript? Or is the code that launches the initial Chromium window(s) compiled into an .exe?

I don't really mind if it takes a long time to fix, because there's half a million things on your guys' plate for MM5. But I'm happy that you listened to me and added it to the tracked issues. :heart: :slight_smile:
tbm72

Multiple monitor overlap

Post by tbm72 »

Bit of an odd one but this bug only happens with MM5 out of all the apps on my Win 10 system. I have a 3 screen setup and usually put MM5 on my leftmost monitor. If I click the [maximise] button at top right of MM5 I can see a very small portion of the program's window overlapped onto my 2nd (center) monitor.

Here's a screenshot where you can just see the border of the program window.

The same thing happens if I put MM5 on my 2nd (center) monitor and click [maximise] - I can then see a small portion of the window on my 3rd (right) monitor. It should be maximised only on whatever screen it's running on, but for some reason a portion of the window 'bleeds' onto the adjacent screen.

I've tried this with a bunch of other apps (GIMP, Win Explorer, Chrome etc) and MM5 is the only one that does it.

Also, if I then click the focus onto a different program, the overlapped part of the window on the adjacent monitor disappears. But if I click back onto MM5 the frame is visible again. MM5 is definitely running full screen maximised when this happens.
Lowlander

Re: Multiple monitor overlap

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MediaMonkey and do you have a non-default DPI or Text Size setting in the Windows settings?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I'm running latest MM5 (5.0.0.2288) and Windows is set at default native resolution for all 3 monitors (1920x1080) all at default DPI scaling and text size. Every other app or window works as expected when maximised (including MM4) and MM5 is the only one to exhibit this display issue that overlaps onto the adjacent monitor when maximised.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to reproduce on a dual monitor with 2288.

Try renaming persistant.json: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... interface/ while MediaMonkey is closed and then see if the problem persists when you start MediaMonkey again.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Hi there,

This is a known issue; I've detailed it here in the past: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=96860
It's tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16804

I agree that it's strange and annoying, but hopefully it can be resolved for 5.0.1 :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

Edit: When I renamed persistent.json and reopened it, the black overlap initially didn't show up; but if I closed and reopened MM once more, the black overlap showed up again for me.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Not just me then! Renaming persistent.json doesn't make any difference here, same issue happens. Seems strange that it only affects MM5. All other windows from system to 3rd party apps (including Chrome) display fine when maximised apart from MM5. Not a big deal but now I can't unsee it!
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Do you see it on Discord? I haven't used the Discord desktop app in a while (after switching to the browser version in Rambox), but I used to see a 1-2px border on there. Not as bad as MM5 though.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Sorry I don't use Discord so can't confirm that one.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

drakinite wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 pm Do you see it on Discord? [..]
Yeah, it has been a known issue with discord for a while that still happens in its current version of the desktop app.