My MM4 db has become upgraded to MM5 somehow? [#16718]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: My MM4 db has become upgraded to MM5 somehow? [#16718]

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 am Even in portable mode you can define custom DB location and when you've choosed to import settings from MM4, custom DB location was imported as well.
The question in the dbox specifically asked whether I wanted to import my database from MM4, it didn't mention settings. ... although the dbox heading may have said something about settings, I am not sure.

The point is that there is no way to import db, but not settings, during your MM5 install proc, so you can't rely upon that fact that the user said Yes to import, meaning that people want the db to be created outside the portable installation.

I think that if the user has requested a "portable" installation, you should import data from the user's custom MM4 database, but comment out the custom location in the ini file that you copy into to MM5/portable ... so that the user does get the portable install that they have requested for ... ie. you should not assume that they want the database in a non-portable location, unless you specifically ask them.
PetrCBR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:19 am MM should copy your MM4 database to new MM5.DB name and update ini entry for DBName so it looks like for any reason ini wasn't updated with new DBName and need to figure out why it wasn't get updated.
Look at whether MM5 persists the ini file if the user allows MM5 to autostart from the install proc, and accepts importation|upgrade of the MM4 db, and then closes MM5 as soon as it completes, without interacting with the UI. ... That is what i did. ... I am fairly confident that I closed MM5 normally, because at that stage I thought that I had a good db, and just wanted to backup it up.

btw It did put a MM5.db into my custom location, and that db's contents were as expected. .... The problem is that when MM5 was started again it went back to MM.db, and upgraded it.

Oh, that reminds me. ... maybe I did interact with the UI once. I think that I opened File|ManageDb, and clicked the backup icon, so I could check the db location ... I didn't run the backup. And then I closed Mm5

Thanks for response.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:54 am I've added code to always use MM5.DB even when different name is defined in INI file to be sure MM4 database isn't used in case INI file is not updated after data import.
Doesn't this mean that if I person was already on MM5, with a standard db file name in custom db location, and then requested a separate portable install ==> you would import the ini file into the portable folder, and this would mean that both the main install of MM5, and this new portable install, would both be using the one database ... that's a disaster waiting to happen, isn't it? .... ie. someone installs a portable version 0f MM5, does some slash and burn while experimenting with MM5, and it stuffs up their main database.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

When you choose to import settings from previous version, then yes you will use this settings. When you need to start from scratch, do not import settings.

EDIT: anyhow i've sent your suggestion about portable mode to other guys so we will discuss this internally
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:09 am When you choose to import settings from previous version, then yes you will use this settings. When you need to start from scratch, do not import settings.

EDIT: anyhow i've sent your suggestion about portable mode to other guys so we will discuss this internally
OK, good ... just to be clear, the question asks do you want to import from your database ... most people would want that because the other way means that we have to thrash our disk drives to read all the tags again, and then we lose play counts, and custom tags, and track ratings .... so you can't rely on this choice as being that they also want ALL their settings also ... it is probably best, and safest, if you never transfer the custom db location setting .... or at least show them what you are about to do on the top dbox shown at the top here, and get them to agree to it ... IMO that is a bare minimum ... and best choice is to put the database in the standard locations always, ie. for both normal and portable installs.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

With Barry we've finally found the issue and it will be fixed in 2260. Thanks for your assistance, Barry ;-).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:09 am When you choose to import settings from previous version, then yes you will use this settings. When you need to start from scratch, do not import settings.

What was the outcome of your internal discussion?

It seems clear to me that the default database location in portable mode should always be within the portable sub-directory

This is what your wiki says
Portable Mode:
In the 'Portable' subdirectory of the location to which MediaMonkey was installed. e.g.
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MM.DB
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
IMO this should apply in all cases, ie. including when allowing import and settings from MM4 installation.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Final decision about portable installation is the database will copy to portable folder even when custom location is defined in the imported ini.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:17 am Final decision about portable installation is the database will copy to portable folder even when custom location is defined in the imported ini.
good, thanks