2262: Today mm5 opened with different settings [#16888]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: 2262: Today mm5 opened with different settings

Post by Lowlander »

You mean that MediaMonkey is still running when you initiate Windows Shutdown/Restart?

Are the only settings lost those that were made during this session of MediaMonkey?

Tracking issue as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16888
A debug log (step 4b) capturing closing of MediaMonkey and opening of MediaMonkey with settings loss would be helpful to help resolve: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@Lowlander - Thanks for your help with this.
You mean that MediaMonkey is still running when you initiate Windows Shutdown/Restart?
Yes, I often leave MediaMonkey running when shutting down/restarting Windows. And there have been two occasions after starting MediaMonkey, just after a Windows boot, that I've noticed my UI settings have been lost. However, this might just be coincidence - I can't definitely say that shutting down, or restarting Windows caused this - just that this is often the first time I've noticed my settings have been lost.
Are the only settings lost those that were made during this session of MediaMonkey?
From what I can recall, it seems the database is still intact, and all my songs show up. The only changes seem to be to the UI - which gets reset - including all the nodes. So, it's not just the changes that were made to the UI during the last session that are lost, but everything - like you might see when you first run MM5 - but with all the song information still intact. I'll see if I can confirm this, if this bug happens to me again.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Probably mediamonkey is killed by system before settings are sucesfully saved. Will check.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

grumble grumble grumble ... happened again. THis time i know what happened. I didn't shut down MM5 before windows shutdown.
I think this is a critical error as many users just shut down windows expecting that the sw will shut down the apps ...
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Are you saying that all values from the persistent.json file (UI state) was reset or just the changes from the last session were not re-stored?
From the description above it sounds like if the persistent.json file was somehow cleared or deleted as it is the file where the UI state and MM5 specific settings is stored for MM5.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Yes .. all settings were changed. skill, columns, search 'scroll' option etc
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

It looks like system killed the MM process and persistent wasn't completelly saved to disc. Will check it out.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Thanks ...
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Thanks from me too
BMF

Re: 2262: Today mm5 opened with different settings [#16888]

Post by BMF »

Sorry guys,

no good sunday morning news .... same behaviour with 2264 too. Today it even started as a "tiny" window in the middle of the desktop. It was closed maximized.

MM5 was closed when i shut down the computer yesterday. I did not use the other portable installaiton, which is still 2261.

Until this is solved, which file can i save to get a backup of my personal settings?

Grerrtings
bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@BMF - Hello, what I've been doing every time this bug is triggered, and I lose my settings, is restoring an older copy of the persistent.json file in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5", where username is the name of your Windows account.

So, I recommend saving a copy of persistent.json, then when this bug is triggered, overwrite the new persistent.json in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5". This has worked for me, in restoring my previous UI settings. I think this is all that's necessary, because your song database should be unaffected.

I have also experienced this bug in 2264, and as a temporary workaround, now try to exit MediaMonkey5 before I shutdown my PC.
BMF

Post by BMF »

Hello pbryanw,

thank you for the workaround. As i did a portable installation i could find the json file in the folder named "portable" within the MM5 folder. So i will create a copy of that file every time i change my personal settings.

greetings
bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Same happened to me today. I have the latest version installed.

I installed it yesterday, closed the app and restarted. all good. But today when I turned it on, everything was at default settings.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If MM settings reset after 24h and/or after PC restart then you have some sort of cleaner doing that. WebRoot was one of known ones.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

its happened again twice since posting this. I have had Windows updates and I ran Disk Clean. Do you think either or both of these did it?

Odly, this only happens the first time I open MM in the morning. I can open and close it all day and night with no issue. It is the next day when it happens.