Discogs Tagger 5.84 (Updated: 2024-01-03)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

crap_inhuman

Re: Discogs Tagger 5.77 (Updated: 2020-10-01)

Post by crap_inhuman »

dypsis wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 am I tag my music manually, but this is a great auto tagger if you like your tracks in Proper Case.
Proper Case is Discogs standard, which is what I use. I am noticing a shift to Proper Case in Last.fm as well.

In my opinion, Title Case is just a mishmash for music titles.
I am glad to see them moving away from it.
Thank you :D
Proper Case for english music title is correct, but a music title in my (german) language in Proper Case looks "wrong". Misspelled. So i use both options for tagging.
Metal up your ass !
-----------------------------------------------
I added my first 2 videos on youtube. The language is german.

Discogs Autorisierung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oryxKKtnEnc
Discogs Tagger Bedienung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Wk-5rd-W0
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

crap_inhuman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm
dypsis wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 am I tag my music manually, but this is a great auto tagger if you like your tracks in Proper Case.
Proper Case is Discogs standard, which is what I use. I am noticing a shift to Proper Case in Last.fm as well.

In my opinion, Title Case is just a mishmash for music titles.
I am glad to see them moving away from it.
Thank you :D
Proper Case for english music title is correct, but a music title in my (german) language in Proper Case looks "wrong". Misspelled. So i use both options for tagging.
Providing options is even better. 👍
schmuckythecat

Post by schmuckythecat »

Feature Request: Search by Discogs Number.

Using the discogs website is usually faster and more accurate to find some of the more unique albums I'm trying to tag. I can get really frustrated with the MM extension when I know which release I want, but trying to figure out what to plug into the extension to get there is a matter of loading then unloading a dozen different choices.
crap_inhuman

Post by crap_inhuman »

schmuckythecat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:08 pm Feature Request: Search by Discogs Number.

Using the discogs website is usually faster and more accurate to find some of the more unique albums I'm trying to tag. I can get really frustrated with the MM extension when I know which release I want, but trying to figure out what to plug into the extension to get there is a matter of loading then unloading a dozen different choices.
Your feature request is implemented. You only need to paste the discogs number into the upper drop down field.
Metal up your ass !

Etherknight

Post by Etherknight »

Thanks for creating this extension. Over the years it has been a great help, and I've been using it since it first appeared in 2014, or was in 2013.

Anyhow, I've a new PC, and have it set up just the way I like it, so installed MediaMonkey, and the Discogs Tagger, which is where I ran into issues. In attempting to authorise the tagger, when I clicked the link in the popup, the popup attempted to access "The Internet" via first Windows Explorer then Internet Explorer. This proved a challenge since I don't use either Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer, and neither have access through my replacement firewall anyhow.

Though I was able to reset my defaults and Authorise Discogs, it would be great if the extension went straight to the default browser and opened the link, instead of navigating through Windows applications.

I hope this is updated in future versions, but I get if it's not a huge priority. My system, my problem, and there was a workaround.
Thanks for the continued support and development. :)

To anyone interested, these are my replacement programs:
Explorer: Directory Opus
Browser: Firefox
Firewall: Windows 10 Firewall Control
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 uses IE internally which is why any browser windows are opened in IE. This can't be changed by the Addon developers.
crap_inhuman

Post by crap_inhuman »

Thank you for your post Etherknight. I'm happy that you like Discogs Tagger. :)
Lowlander said it, IE is used by MM, so without IE the Addon wouldn't work. But i will take a look, if i can do something better.

I used Directory Opus the last time on my Amiga many years ago. I loved it. And i looked with a big grin to Windows Explorer, the poor Filemanager of MS. :wink:
Metal up your ass !

rvonder

Album exists in MusicBrainz but not found by Tagger

Post by rvonder »

Subject pretty much says it all. I have an album called "Bach Organ Works: Preludes and Fugues", with artist name of James Kibbie. It exists in MusicBrainz, but I can't make it appear in Discogs Tagger 5.77. I tried every way to search that I could think of, including entering the album's MBID directly into the search field at the top, but all were unsuccessful.

Here is the link to the MB page for the album:
https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/7 ... 7a5fd3faa0

(A probably unrelated issue: MB shows the format of this album as 'Digital Media', but that entry does not appear in the pulldown selection lists in Discogs Tagger - should maybe be added?)

Fortunately, I was able to work around the problem using the MB Picard app, but would sure be quicker and easier with your Tagger. At least I didn't have to manually enter info for 33 tracks!
rvonder

Override values from Discogs or MusicBrainz?

Post by rvonder »

Hi -
I love your Tagger - it's the feature I use by far the most often in maintaining my library. Apologies if this has been requested before, but the old (and dearly missed!) 'auto-tag from Amazon' feature let you override or make corrections to the proposed new values by simply typing directly into the auto-tag grid prior to clicking the 'auto-tag' button at the bottom right. Discogs Tagger doesn't seem to allow this, and it can be a real challenge remembering and making the necessary changes after the auto-tag dialog closes. It would sure be wonderful if this feature could be enabled again -- and many thanks for all your great work!
crap_inhuman

Re: Album exists in MusicBrainz but not found by Tagger

Post by crap_inhuman »

rvonder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm Subject pretty much says it all. I have an album called "Bach Organ Works: Preludes and Fugues", with artist name of James Kibbie. It exists in MusicBrainz, but I can't make it appear in Discogs Tagger 5.77. I tried every way to search that I could think of, including entering the album's MBID directly into the search field at the top, but all were unsuccessful.
Hi !
Thanks for your post and your detailed information about your problem.
If you enter the MBID into the search field at the top, you have first switch to "Musicbrainz Tagger" in the top left options.

I don't know, why it doesn't work for you, i tried to search for the album with "Manual Search":

i found the album on the third position:
rvonder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm(A probably unrelated issue: MB shows the format of this album as 'Digital Media', but that entry does not appear in the pulldown selection lists in Discogs Tagger - should maybe be added?)
I willl add it in the next release ! Thank you for the hint!
rvonder wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:08 pm Hi -
I love your Tagger - it's the feature I use by far the most often in maintaining my library. Apologies if this has been requested before, but the old (and dearly missed!) 'auto-tag from Amazon' feature let you override or make corrections to the proposed new values by simply typing directly into the auto-tag grid prior to clicking the 'auto-tag' button at the bottom right. Discogs Tagger doesn't seem to allow this, and it can be a real challenge remembering and making the necessary changes after the auto-tag dialog closes. It would sure be wonderful if this feature could be enabled again -- and many thanks for all your great work!
You can override the values in the lower window by doubleclick on them. The value immediatly override the old value, no matter if you push afterwards the "auto-tag" button or not. This is a bug (?) in MM.
Metal up your ass !

rvonder

Post by rvonder »

@crap_inhuman,
Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely switched to MusicBrainz mode before trying an MBID search in the top bar, but the album wasn't found. I don't know why I didn't see the result you got with a manual search, because I tried so many different approaches before posting. Interesting that you found the album searching with 'Johann Sebastian Bach' as the Artist, but I got nothing using the actual artist's name, 'James Kibbie': MB shows both names in the Artist field, and I'm indeed able to find the album in Picard using either name. However, Bach's name is the first one listed - is there something about the way you handle multi-valued fields in Tagger that perhaps only the first value is being searched?

(Personal rant: Can anyone explain why online tagging sources like Discogs or MB always include the Composer and Conductor among the Artist names, especially for classical music? It's safe to assume that Johann Sebastian Bach was not performing on this album as an artist, since he's been dead for hundreds of years. Likewise, the existence of a separate field for Conductor recognizes the distinction between someone's role as Artist or Conductor. Mstislav Rostropovich was a wonderful conductor, but was best known as one of the greatest cello players of our time. I occasionally performed under Slava when he conducted, in his role as Music Director of the National Symphony in D.C. But he also served as cello soloist with the NSO and other orchestras, under the batons of different conductors. So it's important to be able to find albums where Slava actually played as an artist vs. being the conductor. Same thing with composers who are still alive and may conduct (or even perform in) an orchestra playing a work they wrote. As a result, I have to spend a lot of time and effort correcting the Artist, Conductor and Composer tags - thank goodness for my other favorite extension, RegExp Find and Replace!)

And many thanks for the tip about double-clicking to correct values in the Tagger grid! Maybe I've only tried using a single click?
crap_inhuman

Post by crap_inhuman »

If you get again into trouble finding an album, please send me the Logfile of the Tagger. With the LOG File it's much easier to find the reason of a problem.

A reason could be the filter setting. Maybe you set a country filter, but the album didn't released in this country.
Searching with the release-group MBID is another reason. I do myself the mistake while trying to the reproduce the problem. :wink:
Metal up your ass !

crap_inhuman

Post by crap_inhuman »

rvonder wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:21 pm Interesting that you found the album searching with 'Johann Sebastian Bach' as the Artist, but I got nothing using the actual artist's name, 'James Kibbie': MB shows both names in the Artist field, and I'm indeed able to find the album in Picard using either name. However, Bach's name is the first one listed - is there something about the way you handle multi-valued fields in Tagger that perhaps only the first value is being searched?
The Tagger send the whole artist field 'Johann Sebastian Bach, James Kibbie' to MB or Discogs.

If you try now the manual search in the Tagger, did you find the album?
Metal up your ass !

adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

Is anyone else seeing that the Album photo isn't showing in the UI?
It looks like it still downloads the picture but I get an X where the thumbnail should be in the plugin UI now for some reason.
crap_inhuman

Post by crap_inhuman »

adrianmarsh wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:53 am Is anyone else seeing that the Album photo isn't showing in the UI?
It looks like it still downloads the picture but I get an X where the thumbnail should be in the plugin UI now for some reason.
Hi, i just tried it and i see no problem with the album picture.
Metal up your ass !