[REQ] Unable to navigate to escape a collection.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

[REQ] Unable to navigate to escape a collection.

Post by Barry4679 »

Scenario:
  • I am in a custom collection, eg. albums ripped during the last year
  • I can see my recently ripped albums for that artist ... I would like to see all of my albums for that artist ... Ie. not constrained by my custom collection
There doesn't seem to be a way that I can do that.
It looks like it should be possible, because the thumb art for the artist also shows albums not ripped during the last year.

But Find More from Same will not allow escape from the custom collection.
The only way is to exit the custom collection, and then re-navigate back to the artist.

MM5 Find More From Same essentially offers nothing in this situation. ... ie. If I click on either the artists tile, I can see any of the artist's album that I ripped recently ... or I can click on the artist's name, and I see a different panel, which also shows me those albums. ... So discovery of these albums is already covered.

Find More From Same, doesn't find "more" ... It would be good if it could ... FMFS Folder Explorer obviously facilitates escape from the custom collection constraint ... it would be good if there was a something like FMFS>"Artist: xxxx (whole library)" option in the context menu.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Re: Unable to navigate to escape a collection.

Post by Lowlander »

FMFS in a Collection stays within the Collection, that's by design.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:07 pm FMFS in a Collection stays within the Collection, that's by design.
So?? It would be helpful if the Design was expanded.

The existing functionality added some functionality in MM4, because there was no other way to expand the search.
MM5 has improved navigation by adding the new links mention in my original post.

OTOH FMOS has not been improved in MM5 ... leaving it with no purpose in this situation, as it is Find No More of Same, which is unnecessarily limited.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, that's an opinion. Where some want it to be limited to the current Collection (ie. as it's implemented right now) others may want it to go to the Entire Library Collection.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 pm Where some want it to be limited to the current Collection (ie. as it's implemented right now) others may want it to go to the Entire Library Collection.
A point of agreement. Let's celebrate. :)

I was asking for an extension, not a change of behaviour. Apologies if this wasn't clear in my post.
Barry4679 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm it would be good if there was a something like FMFS>"Artist: xxxx (whole library)" option in the context menu.
As it exists now, FMFS offers zero in the scenario that I described. Which is a loss of opportunity, especially since the UI offers no other alternative.
rusty

Re: [REQ] Unable to navigate to escape a collection.

Post by rusty »

I can see this being useful as well. But just to explain the logic of the current approach: if the user uses FMFS and it takes the user to e.g. a 'Kids music' collection, it could be confusing when other tracks by the Artist don't appear.

Something for the future.

-Rusty
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Barry, you made me thinking and here are my 2 Cents. Why not using Entire library tree node and make this in Playlist:

Code: Select all

Playlists
- !!!My Collection playlists (Simple/Static playlist and ! is for sorting)
-- Added 3 Months ago (Criteria Added < 3 Months SORT at your discression)
That approach would give you all that you have currently listed minus Collection Tree nodes, while FMFS work.

In all other I agree with Rusty 100%.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm I can see this being useful as well. But just to explain the logic of the current approach: if the user uses FMFS and it takes the user to e.g. a 'Kids music' collection, it could be confusing when other tracks by the Artist don't appear.
I do understand the utility of the present feature.

My suggestion arose from a real world inquiry, where I was navigated to the Artist detail node in a collection which filtered to my recent rips. I wondered where the Release Date of this new album ranked amongst the other albums I already had for this artist. ... I was surprised that MM UI has no path for this kind of navigation, other than starting a fresh new query for the Artist.

If I am Filtering or Searching I have the choice, whether or not, to constrain the search to just the current context. This is a very valuable new facility that is part of the MM5 upgrade.

As you acknowledge, this would also be as useful in Navigation, as it is in Search and Filtering. Once you have seen that it not catered for, it is impossible to unsee it. :)

And without this proposed extension, FMOS looks pretty lame in this context, because it delivers nothing that MM5 UI doesn't already show me.

rusty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm Something for the future.
Yes, I understand that is too late for MM5.0
Peke wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:57 pm Barry, you made me thinking and here are my 2 Cents. Why not ...
Thanks Peke. This was just a Beta Testing report. I wasn't looking for a Work Around.