Changes to View reset.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

Changes to View reset.

Post by Andre_H »

Hi there

everytime i open/return to the main panel in the node "musik"=>"artist", it reset's to default settings. i usualy change the filter from "album artist" to "artist", and turn off the column "summary" (or what it's called in english, in the german version it's "Zusammenfassung")

https://ibb.co/Kw7yLq4

Anytime i leave the view and come back, or open an new tab, it switches back to standard settings. how can i save those settings permanently?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Barry4679

Re: Changes to View reset.

Post by Barry4679 »

Andre_H wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:24 am everytime i open/return to the main panel in the node "musik"=>"artist", it reset's to default settings. i usualy change the filter from "album artist" to "artist", and turn off the column "summary" (or what it's called in english, in the german version it's "Zusammenfassung")
Hi Andre,
You are talking about "List By Album" view?
In that view the first two columns seem to be hard wired, ie are not configurable. ... If you try and drag the Summary column to to a new position, you will notice that it is unmoveable. And that column is not even listed in the Manage facility for the view.

Andre_H wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:24 am i usualy change the filter from "album artist" to "artist"
Here it seems that you are asking about List view?
And are you changing the filter or the sort sequence?
I presume that you are changing the sort sequence of (#1)List view for the (#2)Artist sub-node of the (#3)Music node ... ie. here ...correct? Or you meant something else?

How are you making that change?
And how are you closing MM5 ... ie via the File Menu option, or via the X at the top right of the window ... Both work for me now, but in earlier versions the second method did not persist changes properly. ...The latest version is 5.0.1.2404 btw

Andre_H wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:24 am Anytime i leave the view and come back, or open an new tab, it switches back to standard settings. how can i save those settings permanently?
This is currently a complex area. I don't think that MM5 View configuration is working properly.

MM5 does have more View configuration options that MM4 ... but I have found that not much of it is currently useful to be honest. Some of the things that I have wanted to configure have not been configurable, and the things that are configurable have not worked reliably IMO. ... One thing that I am sure of is that if it is working as designed, I have not yet been able to understand how to drive it effectively, despite trying hard to do so.

I posted a query about this issue a couple of weeks ago. There has been so response, so I am thinking that there is no good answer at the moment.

I think that the questions are:
  1. How do I create a view that is safely persisted, and is not over-written whenever I make temporary changes to columns|sorting|filtering when just using the view?
  2. At what level are transient views defined and remembered ? ie. temporary view alterations, made a dragging a column, resorting by clicking a column heading, etc ... anything dot done inside the Manage View dbox)... are these at the Collection level? Or at the Collection|Sub-node level? ... or at the sub-node level across all Collections? ... or at the global level?
  3. How does view sharing work? ... at one stage there was facility to design a view for a specific collection or sub-node ... how it work now?
  4. Can the help text be updated to cover these questions? ... what is there at the moment is hard to find, and it does nothing to explain how to use views effectively
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Andre_H

Re: Changes to View reset.

Post by Andre_H »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:48 am Hi Andre,
You are talking about "List By Album" view?
Yes. I even saved a new view with the changed filter and hidden column "summary", but these new view also resets to defaults.
Barry4679 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:48 am Here it seems that you are asking about List view?
And are you changing the filter or the sort sequence?
it's marked in my pic in the first post. these 2 or 3 filters (i think it's 3 on top of the standard config, i have just "artist" on the left and "album" on the right one). so i think it's a filter.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView