MM5 Portable not working

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

MM5 Portable not working

Post by Mikey1969 »

So I installed MM5 as a portable installation, and it is a mess. I've deleted and reinstalled, rebooted my computer, all to no avail.

I also can't figure out this weird way of attaching an image, so I guess I'll describe it. I launch MM, and for a few seconds everything looks good. Then I get an all white box on top of another all white box, and nothing works. And by "nothing", I also mean that I can't close it. Right clicking in the taskbar and choosing "Close all windows" doesn't work. I can kill it in task manager, but I still have a MM icon down in the tray in the lower right, where all of your running stuff is. Can't ever remember what that one is.

The only way to completely exit out of this app is to reboot my computer. And yes, I have chosen "Portable Installation" every time I've installed it.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there any fix? Am I able to roll back to 4 for now?
Mikey1969

Re: MM5 Portable not working

Post by Mikey1969 »

Oh, also, if I leave the thumb drive in, then it keeps popping a Windows Explorer window in front of what I'm doing about every 5 minutes, like it's trying to relaunch. Still can't launch the app...
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK, running as administrator seems to work, which is ludicrous, but at least I can launch it.

But I still have the Windows Explorer window constantly popping up that window. About every 5 minutes, it will pop in front of everything, which is great when I'm typing a reply to a user I am supporting. This happens when I put the thumb drive in, when I close the app, or when I haven't even launched the app after a restart, but it's still attached to the computer.

This is not really an acceptable way to use this application.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Screenshots: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97733

Which Build of MediaMonkey did you install?

Could the problem be that the USB drive keeps reconnecting? It would explain why Windows Explorer keeps popping up (likely set as default action for USB drives) and would then explain why MediaMonkey crashes (as the drive it runs from becomes disconnected).
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

OK, turned AutoPlay off, let's see how that works. Not sure about it crashing. It just did again, but this time could just be that I had closed my laptop, so I'll see how that is. Still concerned that I have to launch as administrator each time. I'll see if there's some way I can change that setting, too.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Don't know about Administrator. You may want to try a fresh Portable Install (you can use the existing database) to see if that helps. Don't know how locked down your Windows user account is.