[REQ] Physical path info over dnla?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MabelVanA

[REQ] Physical path info over dnla?

Post by MabelVanA »

I use MM5 as a dnla-server with various clients, MM-A on a phone or MM5 on a laptop. Although I put a fair bit of effort in surveying and adding meta-data to my music files, I often see inconsistencies when looking up music (e.g. 8 different ways of writing Johan Sebastian Bach, each with their own position in the alphabeticqal list). As my library keeps expanding, so do the problems finding music. I'd like to redress the meta-data but then I get this problem: I can't see neither the filename not the physical location, so I don't know which files to edit.
I don't know whether the dnla standard allows it but it would really be most helpful if physical path + filename could be displayed by a 'client'.
Mabel
Lowlander

Re: Physical path info over dnla?

Post by Lowlander »

You can't edit files over DLNA. DLNA also uses it's own Paths, so the actual file Paths are not shared over DLNA. You can use Location to do folder style browsing over DLNA from a MediaMonkey server, but the filename is not shared.
MabelVanA

Re: Physical path info over dnla?

Post by MabelVanA »

Sorry for this very late reaction (due to health problems...)
I'm sorry, @Lowlander, but that's not really an answer.
I know I can't edit files using dnla; I know I do not get the file-path; adding it somewhere is precisely my request/suggestion! You do NOT say 'The DNLA standard forbids slipping in any info about the file-path anywhere'!
In fact, you acknowledge that the path-info not only can be made available but actually IS made available, when you advice browsing 'by folder'. But this sentence makes me doubt if you really understood my question. It's when searching on meta-data (artist, album etc) that I see mistakes I made when adding these meta-data to the file. I want to correct that, but then I am at a loss as to WHERE this file resides.
Mabel
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Physical path info over dnla?

Post by Lowlander »

You could create an AutoPlaylists (using Last Played) of the last x played files, which would help locate files like these once they've played over DLNA (if the option to update playcount is enabled).
Barry4679

Re: [REQ] Physical path info over dnla?

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm You could create an AutoPlaylists (using Last Played) of the last x played files, which would help locate files like these once they've played over DLNA (if the option to update playcount is enabled).
That seems a good idea.
Or you could rerate tracks with issues to something that identifies, eg 1 stars
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.