Distorted music after Pause.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

Distorted music after Pause.

Post by Pietercape »

After using Pause and then clicking Pause ( II ) again to restart at the stop point the music is totally distorted. The only way to carry on is by clicking Stop and restarting but the player goes back to the starting point. I cannot find a way to carry on at the stop point, in other words I cannot interrupt play and carry on from the stop point as was allways the case in the past.

Is this a known issue? Is it a buffering issue? Build 5.0.2.2531
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Distorted music after Pause.

Post by Lowlander »

Which Output Plugin (Tools > Options > Audio Output) are you using and what File Type(s) are affected.

Is this always the case or does a PC restart or different files resolve this not experience this?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

In writing out all the output settings I noticed that in the Advanced tab both "Event Driven Exclusive mode" and "Event Driven Shared mode" were selected. Unchecking the "Event Driven Shared mode" solved the problem.

However clicking anywhere on the open Album art (by mistake) has the Pause sign in a circle popping up and immmeadiately fading away. Clicking Pause again to restart play results in distorted music again.

This is just an irritation not a problem, just need to be carefull.
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I jumped the gun! Any interruption of more than a few seconds causes the problem again.

Here are the output plugin settings:
Wasapi, Event driven exlusive mode, 48000Hz, 2CH, 16Bit.
Crossfade tracks - 4 seconds, Fade in new track.
Smooth Pause
Smooth Seek
Smooth Stop

Advanced - Event Driven Exclusive Mode
Default Buffering settings.

I have not had PC restart events so cannot comment on that. I schedule all restarts and will as a rule not have MM playing during a restart event.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does this happen with DirectSound too?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I am really baffled by what is happening here. I tried the change to Direct Sound and in the little time I have had, the issue did not come up. But then, it does not allways happen with Wasapi. I suspect that background processes are the issue here given how resource demanding MM5 is. I have removed MM5 from my laptop as it just does not have the capacity to cope with MM5. I acknowledge that it is an older laptop but both MusicBee and Foobar have no issues on it.

My PC has no capacity issues with anything else, it copes well running Win 10 Pro and multitasking. I suppose I could switch to Directsound but I prefer Wasapi. There must be some small setting that causes the issue. I willl continue to play around and try to find the cause and let you know.
Library 23k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@Pietercape

I tested with your settings for around 1 hours. And also changed one or the other setting.
NO PROBLEMS with playback with latest beta version (2603) and 'MediaMonkey 5 Codec Pack Trial 3.0.6.'
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

It seems that the issue was the option to select output frequency in Wasapi Exclusive Mode. The selection was 48000Hz, 2CH, 16bit.

I experimented by switching from Wasapi Exlusive Mode to Shared mode. In shared mode the option to select output frequency is greyed out. I could not replicate the problem in Wasapi Shared mode.

I then switched to Wasapi Exlusive Mode and selected Automatic choice of format (per track) and again could not replicate the problem.

This also makes it possible to click on the Album art in "Playing" view. This stops play but play restarts when clicking the Pause button (II) again.

It seems that the issue has been identified. I am perfectly happy to stay with the "Automatic choice of format" option.

Thanks Lowlander and Erwin for trying to help.
Library 23k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Just an update, when distorted stutter happen in Exclusive mode often problem is with Buffer size, if you want to play around and issue return, I would suggest thta you try to increase buffer sizes to for example 500 and see if it happen again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Peke,
I increased the buffer sizes to 500ms but it made no difference, after even a very short pause the distorted music was back.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Library 23k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmm, interesting. Wonder, what is the make and model of the sound card?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

As I understand it Wsapi bypasses the onboard soundcard
I use a Schiit Bifrost DAC (AKM4399 chip) into a Schiit Asgaard 2 Headphone AMP. The DAC is USB fed using Schiit software to overcome USB issues. I have had this rig for 5+ years and it has never given any problems, just excellent sound!
Library 23k tracks