syncing MM from device to MMW5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

backinhumanform

syncing MM from device to MMW5

Post by backinhumanform »

If I make changes to the tag information on my device, a Samsung S10, how do I sync this back to my MMW library on my Windows laptop?
Lowlander

Re: syncing MM from device to MMW5

Post by Lowlander »

backinhumanform

This doesn't work, unfortunately.

I tested it by changing the metadata for three artists. For the first artist, I changed the album artist name. For the second two artists, the fields changed were different. So, artist #1 was The Seahorses, for which there is one album in the library. On both device and MMW, the album artist is "Seahorses" and the artist is "The Seahorses". On MMW, the album and artist is filed under "The Seahorses". On the device, it is filed under both "The Seahorses" and "Seahorses", because of the difference in the artist and album artist fields. So, I change the album artist on the device to "The Seahorses". When I tick the sync option as described in the link above, the metadata doesn't change on either device or MMW library.

For the second example, I can provide more detail if required, but just to say that in this case the information on the device is being overwritten by the information in the MMW library (it should happen the other way round).

I'm syncing via wifi.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are both PC and device set to the same time? The last modification should have preference on Sync. Which versions of MM5 and MMA are you using?
backinhumanform

Yes, both PC and device are set to the same time, although they may be a few seconds apart.

MMA is version 1.4.3.0950
MMW is version 5.0.2.2532
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I've just done a quick test and it's working as expected here.

Tested with
MMA is version 1.4.5.0960
MMW is version 5.0.3.2625

1) Added a small playlist consisting from 4 tracks to sync-lict and synced via Wi-Fi
2) Changed a name of an album for one of those tracks in MMA
3) Wi-Fi sync initiated from MMA
=> the change is propagated to MMW as expected

Are you sure that the track that you have tested originated from MMW and thus is "paired" ?
Can you re-test using the same builds as I to see whether the issue still exists for you?
backinhumanform

Thanks for replying.

- All tracks tested originated in MMW and are paired.
- The most recent version of MMA available on the app store is 1.4.5.0950, not 1.4.5.0960. This was the version that I used. Did you have a typo?
- I upgraded MMW to the most recent version, which is now 5.03.2627.

- I carried out the same experiment that you did, I changed an album name on MMA, and the change propagated to MMW as expected.
- If I carry out the same test that I carried out in the Original Post, which is subtly different to your test, the change does not propagate. I have two artist names on my device, "Adventures of Salvador" and "Adventures Of Salvador". The difference is in the punctuation, and on the device, these show up as two different artists. When I change the artist name from "Adventures Of Salvador" to "Adventures of Salvador" on the device, the tracks are then filed under one artist. When I sync to MMW, the change does not propagate to MMA; in fact, MMW overwrites MMA with the old information.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

guess that's some "same text beside of upper and lower case"-thing.

Does it change, if you do it in two steps? " "Adventures Of Salvador" to "Adventures of Salvador X" to "Adventures of Salvador"

(not a solution, but maybe a workaround)
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
backinhumanform

I've tried several workarounds, none of them work consistently. There are hundreds of examples of this in my library - the key ones are where the spelling of the Artist Name And Album Artist Name are different. Sometimes it is a difference in punctuation, but most of the time it isn't.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Then you should open a support ticket, maybe they need a few sample mp3 files.

The sync function as such works, I use it myself several times a day and across at least 2 devices, (mostly) without problems.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView