How can I disable the volume overlay integration with Windows 10?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherSteve

How can I disable the volume overlay integration with Windows 10?

Post by YetAnotherSteve »

I am trying to get rid of Windows 10's volume overlay (the box that shows up in the upper left corner with the small volume bar and the bigger area showing 'Chrome' or 'Mediamonkey' or some other program.

The program that shows is rarely the one that is making noise at the moment, and it takes long enough to disappear from the screen to be annoying when I am doing work.

I got Chrome to stop showing up by going to chrome://flags and searching for 'media handling' and disabling that. I want to do this with all Windows programs.

How can I do something similar in MediaMonkey, as this is now the app that shows up when I am adjusting volume in Chrome or VLC. I don['t see anything that seems to work in settings. (Thank goodness PotPlayer doesn't show up there because their settings menu is horrendous!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Shutting MediaMonkey reduces the volume window to a smallish vertical bar, which is great. What isn't great is that I want MediaMonkey running in the background so it will download podcasts. So I still need a way to disable Windows OS integration.

MediaMonkey standard v5.0.3.2627, Windows 10 Pro 21H1, and I use a $25 USB-A volume dial to control volume since my Corsair keyboard's volume dial works intermittently.

EDIT some more... VLC, PotPlayer, and AIMP do not display in the volume overlay box, just MediaMonkey when it is running, with a blank box with with RW, PLAY and FF buttons and "MediaMonkey.exe" on the bottom of it.
image https://photos.app.goo.gl/FwHdHF5MDgM2xQEc6