[REQ] Playlists column the only song property you can't display in the main panel list view

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

[REQ] Playlists column the only song property you can't display in the main panel list view

Post by MikeGahrns »

I know that the playlist(s) a song is in, is displayed in properties, on the “Classification” tab for that song.

In the list view, if try add a column to display, “Classification” is a submenu under All Fields>Audio>Classification. But only Mood, Occasion, Quality, and Tempo from the song’s “Classification tab” are listed. Playlists is missing. (and Initial Key, which is also on the song’s property classification tab is listed under Audio, it probably should appear under Classification with Mood, Occasion, Quality and Tempo instead…)

As far as I can tell Playlists is the only song property field that you can’t display as a column in the main panel view.

Every other property associated with a song you can right click in the column header and add as a column to display in the view. Is there a reason why playlist(s) is the only item you can’t show as a column?

At first I thought it might be because there can be multiple playlists that a song is in, but other columns like Genre can have multiple values. E.g. Rock; Classic Rock; Garage.

Then I thought it might have something to do with Auto Playlists. But if you only showed the static playlists the song was in, this would be a huge improvement. (Right click properties, Classification tab, shows the auto playlists a song is in, but I don’t know if they are stored with the song or a real-time query is done when the classification tab is shown….)

It seems like a lot of other users also would also like to have the playlist(s) a song is in displayed as a column.

e.g. There was a recent query about it here:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97366

And Playlists In Main Window is a popular addon for MM4 that gets around this limitation by putting the playlists that a song is in, in one of the “Custom x” columns that you can display for a song.

Why I would find this useful:

When scanning lists of songs that I want to add to a playlist I am creating, I want to be able to easily see which songs have not yet been added to any playlist (These are a priority for me to add to get that song into playing rotation) or spot songs that are already in a lot of playlists (so that I don’t “over use” the song and add it yet another playlist).

Having the playlists a song is in displayed in a column makes this efficient and easy to do. If you are dealing with a list of lots of possible candidate songs to put into a playlist, it is way too cumbersome to open each song and look a the classification property tab to see which playlists it might already be in.

MM5 keeps getting better and better. Please consider this request to add this to MM5. Thanks