List scrolling while relocating columns [#19195]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

List scrolling while relocating columns [#19195]

Post by MattTown »

In the main filelist (centre panel) I generally have more columns than screen space and routinely move column headings around to suit my current purpose. This does work but an annoyance for me is that the filelist starts scrolling unless the mouse (holding the relocating column header block) is kept strictly within the heading line. After relocating the column I have to scroll the list back to where I was working.
Is it possible to have list scrolling suppressed while list column relocations are occurring?
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Lowlander

Re: List scrolling while relocating columns

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please provide more details, like which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey, what node in the Media Tree and how you've setup the Filelisting?

It works fine for me with some quick testing.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Hi Lowlander, Build 5.0.3.2627. Node = "All Files" (my usual location). Filelist setup: I have a screenshot but have to figure out how to attach it. :)
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can check how to add images to post from my signature.

Based on your description if I got it correctly I think that https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19082 should cover your case?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case I recommend capturing this in a debug log (step 4b) attaching the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this occurs in your setup.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I also cannot cause my lists to scroll by grabbing a column header and moving it sideways, by way of slipping down into the main panel listing. I tried several nodes and several different views.

However, I can see how this would be extremely annoying if it ts happening. Very curious what could be causing it.
Based on your description if I got it correctly I think that https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19082 should cover your case?
This above does not appear to address this condition at all.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:37 am This above does not appear to address this condition at all.
OK. If we find the root of issue we can add it there.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi Matt,
I cannot replicate your issue, but here are some workarounds that may help until they solve your issue.
MattTown wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:15 pm In the main filelist (centre panel) I generally have more columns than screen space and routinely move column headings around to suit my current purpose.
You know that you can easily toggle the left and right panels off to gain more space for the central panel? ... ie the toolbar things, on the left and right of the toolbar, that look like piano keys.

And if dragging columns is causing a problem for you, you could try this:
  • right click the heading bar
  • option "Choose Columns"
  • then drag the columns using the "selected columns" list
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:27 pm And if dragging columns is causing a problem for you, you could try this:

right click the heading bar

option "Choose Columns"

then drag the columns using the "selected columns" list
I really hope that https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19082 would make things simpler with arranging columns, as this approach works but do not allow quick add remove columns you need.
Best regards,
Peke
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Peke (and Rob),
Thanks for looking into this.
Re your first post, no the Mantis item you linked to does not address this issue. Mind you, I would welcome the implementation of what it says - having a new column go to the hard right is just an annoyance.
Thanks for the 'how to post screenshots'. I did see that in the forum posts guidance and will use IBB for that purpose.

Barry
Thanks for that. Yes I've been toggling off those panes, still got lots of columns :) And yes I've been using the Choose Columns panel a bit, but that is a few more steps and I'm used to just moving columns around in other table based apps (eg Excel).
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

CLARIFICATION ABOUT THE PROBLEM.
Apologies for not putting enough time into the problem description. The list only scrolls under specific conditions, unfortunately I seem to invoke those often.
The behaviour is reproducible as follows:
  • Main list is on screen
  • Click and hold column heading to relocate it
  • Move the captured column heading slightly above the upper boundary of the heading row
  • list scrolls downwards (top of list getting closer)
I've found that the list does scroll the other way if you take the captured column heading icon down to near the bottom of the list, though I don't expect that this is an expected use case.
As reported by Lowlander, if the captured column heading icon is simply moved down into the body of the list then scrolling doesn't happen.
So, the specific change to behaviour I would like to see is that the list scrolling be suppressed if the column heading icon is taken above the column heading line, as it is when the block is taken below the heading line.
I have a series of images that attempt to show this behaviour:

Full screenshot for context:

Screen scrolls towards the top when column heading block taken up:

Screen scrolls towards the bottom when column heading block taken to bottom of list:

Screen does not scroll when column heading block taken below list heading:

Cheers,
Matt
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Yes, I can confirm that, using build 2627. Easy to reproduce as per your latest description. Have not yet tried in 5.04...

It seems in previous testing I only dropped the column header being dragged downwards, and did not try upwards, nor right to the bottom edge.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »