MM5 Global Search finds folders not in Library

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

MM5 Global Search finds folders not in Library

Post by MattTown »

Hi, I have noticed that the global search function (from the eyeglass icon at far right of the toolbar) ends up finding files that are from folders that are not in the library.

My library music path is D:\Mediamonkey Music\Artistname... . If I set the filelist to All Tracks and sort by Path, this is the only path root present in the list. I can't find anywhere that defines the scope of the library other than the 'Add/Rescan files to the library panel', which is set to only D:\Mediamonkey Music.

If I do a global search, for example "Beatles", the global search finds the files in D:\Mediamonkey Music, but also finds files from other folders in the D:\ drive, which I do not want.

It is possible that these folders were initially selected during the migration from MM4 to MM5 (untidy, with a full set of duplicated files arising from moving to an SSD) but have since been removed from the 'Add Files' dialog and from the library filelist.

Here's some screenshots:
Scope of library as per 'Add Files':

Files from folders not in library showing in global search (blue in scope, red out of scope):

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Peke

Re: MM5 Global Search finds folders not in Library

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In tree Enable ⋮ -> Focus tree when browsing content. Then right click on red track -> Find More from same -> Folder Library and se eif it moves you there. Also you can right click on Track -> Find More from same -> Playlists and see if you possibly scanned playlist sthat have taht file in in and it will be auto added to MM library as part of that playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Hi Peke,

Thanks for that response. Unfortunately I can't test your suggestion because I got tired of those "not in library scope" files clogging up the search and so I found them using a simple global search, sorted by Path, selected the not in scope files, and "deleted from library".

Your comment about the files being included via scanning of playlists is the likely mechanism. My current MM5 library is a recent upgrade from MM4 (and MM3 before that) and the MM4 library used to include those tracks to enable playlists using those tracks.

I'm left with two questions:
  • Why were those other files (included via playlists and found by search) not showing in the MM5 "All Files" node?
  • Is there a mechanism for forcing MM5 to not include folders that arise from playlists? I'd rather hold on to these older playlists in case they are needed again, but don't want the associated files turning up in All Files or in Search.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MattTown wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:56 pm Why were those other files (included via playlists and found by search) not showing in the MM5 "All Files" node?
For me all such files show in all tracks node under Entire library collection.
MattTown wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:56 pm Is there a mechanism for forcing MM5 to not include folders that arise from playlists? I'd rather hold on to these older playlists in case they are needed again, but don't want the associated files turning up in All Files or in Search.
Yes, move those old playlist out of scanned path. Or like I recently did Used Right click on all those tracks -> Find More from Same -> Title and replaced all files in old duplicate paths with new files from correct path, while preserving playlist structure.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Thanks Peke, comment on your responses:
Peke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:28 pm For me all such files show in all tracks node under Entire library collection.
There isn't an "Entire library" entity in the tree view. What I do have is Main Music > All Tracks, and I reiterate that the folders and files found in search were not in that All Tracks list. And this isn't a Duplicated Files issue, I've simply got collections of tracks in different locations which store music used for a party or event. Most of these are copies of files in the library, and I don't want those event files becoming clutter in the library proper.

I infer from your response that the path in the 'Add/Rescan Files ...' is the main control for defining the scope of the library. BUT, files found in playlists that aren't in that path will be added to the library without updating the list of folders shown in that dialog box. So what is actually in the library cannot be entirely defined by the 'Add/Rescan Files...' dialog.

To answer my own question, there isn't a single control for defining the scope of the library. I can live with that but I would prefer to be able to control that, because I've got lots of music in various places and would like to be able to tell MM where NOT to go for files.

Cheers
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MattTown wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:02 pm There isn't an "Entire library" entity in the tree view. What I do have is Main Music > All Tracks
MattTown wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:02 pm To answer my own question, there isn't a single control for defining the scope of the library. I can live with that but I would prefer to be able to control that, because I've got lots of music in various places and would like to be able to tell MM where NOT to go for files.
Hi Matt,

I don't have anything to add to the main playlist topic of this thread, because I don't use playlists.

But I can try to clear up some confusion about the Search aspects of MM5.

Starting with the Sort control at the right end of the Toolbar. That is a "global search".
By default it is local files, where "local" is media files on your PC or in your household network, that you have caused MM5 to scan and add into the MM database.
There is option (via the little dropdown control in the search box) to search other sources like Spotify or YouTube.

There is another Search control, hidden but which auto-opens, in the middle of the Toolbar, when you type something when focus is in the main panel. This is a Contextual Search, and is constrained by whatever Collection you have open from the Media Tree in the left hand panel (eg. Music, AudioBooks, Classical Music, etc).

The Media Tree does have an Entire Library node, but it is hidden by default (??!) ... You can enable it via Tools>Options>Library>Collections&Views, although you need to have the Gold version of MM5 to do this.
The Entire Library node joins together all your Media ... ie. Music Node + Classical Music node + Podcast + ....

Each of the Media Tree nodes (eg. Music) have an AllTracks node.
AllTracks is not a good name IMO. It is not "AllTracks" in the way the you may be interpreting it.
I think that "tracks" would be a better name for it. The sub-nodes don't play a very important role in MM5.
Each sub-node supplies its own default sort sequence.
The other sub-nodes have their own Grid View (ie. Album sub-nodes shows Albums, and Artist sub-node shows Artist, etc).
The other sub-nodes can be navigated in the MediaTree, (ie opened up to see all Albums if in Album sub-node, etc)

But the AllTracks has none of that ... so it is a big nothing AFAIK.

I don't like the Add/Recan mechanism either, but they are working on that for the next release I think.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What you have selected to be scanned in the Add/Rescan Files dialog does not indicate what's in the Library as Add/Rescan Files does not delete files not located in the selected folders. So if files from a different folder have been added at any point they'll remain in the Library.

Search can only find files in the MediaMonkey Library, thus anything found by search will be located in the MediaMonkey Library.

As indicated above Entire Library will show all files in the MediaMonkey Library. The Location sub-node will allow you to locate all drives/folders in the MediaMonkey Library and allows you to easily delete what you no longer want in the MediaMonkey Library.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Barry and Lowlander,
Thanks, the combination of adding Entire Library and deleting unwanted Locations is the control I was looking for.
Cheers
Matt