Auto Organize Files ...Changes don't stick

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

gerstoscar

Auto Organize Files ...Changes don't stick

Post by gerstoscar »

After importing few new music files from my C: drive and tagging them or using autotag (move and rename) . I proceed to auto-orginize the files moving them to drive K (where all my music is stored) using my own mask for folder and file sctructure. Everything goes fine just like in MM 4. I can see the filename and the path changing from C to K. Once is done, i proceed to close MM5,not really inmediatly after the process either. Next time i start MM5 the appication keeps looking at drive C and the paths reverted from K to C. I has always happened with MM5 , it keep asking me to locate the files and after i point to the music folder on K MM5 updates the paths and everything is fine. Problem is that sometimes it doesn't ask me and when i play a song it just skip to the next and the file is grayed out. i have to do auto-organize again...this time seems that the changes stick. i have rebuild the data base and text search index and optimized the data base several times. When i rebuild the data base for some reason the paths reverted to C even when there are not files there. Using 5.0.2.2532 and i have tried updating to 5.0.3.xxxx but nothing has improved. Any suggestions??? i have about 8300 songs. Every time y restart MM5 randomly will ask me to update some files that it can't find. Any help would be appreciated.
Peke

Re: Auto Organize Files ...Changes don't stick

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If K: was not available at time you started Auto Organize, then Drive letter is reset to system drive to prevent organizing files to black hole of missing drive.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gerstoscar

Post by gerstoscar »

K drive is always active.is an internal drive...Tested and works good. Like i said after auto-orginize everything is alright. Paths change, folders are created the song moved from C to K. i can play the song multiple times. After restarting MM5 looses track of where those tracks are...and shows where they came from where there is nothing . Almost every time i start MM5 will show me the dialog telling me that i couldn't find some songs...after I redirect it to K MM5 won't have problems again with those songs. I will keep testing the hard drive...hopefully i will find a solution.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

After auto-orginize everything is alright. Paths change, folders are created the song moved from C to K
do the following:
Menu: File> Add/Rescan
If drive C: is entered there, delete it and enter the new drive K:
After changing, press "Save".
Then again "Menu: File> Add/Rescan"
"Scan now" button

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I'm surprised this has not come up as an issue before.

If I auto-organize files to a new local or network location outside of my currently set path for scanning, it would be good to have a message pop up asking if this location should be included in future scans.

Maybe similarly for send-to moves.

Could be helpful to some users.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am not being able to replicate.

I have 10+ paths in My Add files dialog, some monitored some not and they are all persistent.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

My suggestion was based on the OP results, and I had not actually tested.

Having now done such test, Using 2627, after auto-organizing some files to a new path (on a separate drive letter E:/) which is NOT included in my add-rescan location, these files remain in my database after restart and after rescan as well. They can be played after a restart. However, the location has not been added to my Add-rescan.

Is there a setting someplace that might limit or not limit files to only those in the "scanned" folders, which could be affecting his results? If not this would be a good setting to have, and if it is turned off, then the option I suggested above would be useful.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have Folder Monitoring on startup active and/or Auto-Organize active?

Also, is there a chance you cloned drives at some point? Perhaps both C and K have the same driveID?
gerstoscar

Post by gerstoscar »

No file monitoring that i'm aware. No cloned drive. Do i have to rescan my entire library every time that i start MM5? Database date from MM4 that was converted to MM5. Now after making only one change i haven't experienced the same problem (knock on wood) only unticked update file info from tags when rescaning files. but i don't rescan my database on startup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zHQMSggStsyEpvou6
if for some reason the problems come back what would be the safest way to start from scratch after re-installing MM5 loosing as little as possible. Just in case the database is corrupted. Does Rebuild data base does that? or do i have to rescan my music folder and hope i don't loose as much? Again thanks for your time and help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, scanning is not necessary, it would only be needed if you'd want to add new files to the MediaMonkey Library.

Rebuild database may help with things if there are problems.
mypalal

Post by mypalal »

I'm having the same problem as Erwin Hanzl. Installed MM5 and started MM5 which asked to retrieve the database of MM4 which I let it do. All seemed good. Was able to perform a rescan fine. Shut MM5 down and when restarted it lost track of the mapped M: Media drive which is on an external device. First time it happened, MM5 was uninnstalled, Used CCleaner to remove temp file and registry entries and moved all files in appdata to a different location.

Reinstalling MM5 went well and found MM4 database. All was fine until MM5 was shut down. Restarting, MM5 was not able to locate files on mapped M: drive. Rescanning brought the path and files back.

This has happened four times, trying something a little different each time. This last time, before starting MM5, I used Windows Explorer to make sure the M: drive was accessible which it was. MM5 still could not locate the files. Rescanning again. Any help would be tremendously helpful. Using MM5 version: 5.0.4.2690

Wish I could attack a snapshot but not able to do that.

Thanks, Alan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is it a Mapped Drive (network location) or an external drive (ie. USB drive)?

Is the issue with scanning, or playing files in MediaMonkey?
mypalal

Post by mypalal »

Hi, The connection is a mapped network connection.

And the problem arises when MM5 is opened. Instead of the path being M:\Artist_folder\Album_folder\Track_title.mp3
The path appears as: [Media]\Author_folder\Album_folder\Track_title.mp3

When trying to play a song, it is not found.
The MM left panel shows two location: C: and M:[Media] (which is correct).
The songs located on the C: drive always appears right away. Not problem with this location.

Thanks, Alan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is why MediaMonkey recommends using UNC Paths instead of Mapped Drives. Windows likely change the driveID (it shouldn't) and this is causing the problem. You can fix this by manually re-assigning the drive.