Field "Artist" for "Artist X feat. Artist Y"

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

Field "Artist" for "Artist X feat. Artist Y"

Post by Andre_H »

Hi folks,

A question regarding the Artist-Field:

If any of my track has an "ArtistX featuring ArtistY" content, i can enter that as ...
  • "ArtistX; ArtistY ... and then get the track listed under both artists in the main lists, which is fine
  • "ArtistX feat. ArtistY", what looks far better then the first option when playing the song.
Is there any way to get both?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Peke

Re: Field "Artist" for "Artist X feat. Artist Y"

Post by Peke »

Andre_H wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:35 am "ArtistX feat. ArtistY", what looks far better then the first option when playing the song.
No, ";" is used as a multi Artist field. So you need to choose if you want "feat." or Multi Artists, especially where there is "ArtistX, ArtistY, ArtistZ Feat. ArtistW" for some tracks where "ArtistX; ArtistY; ArtistZ; ArtistW" works much better.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Peke wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:08 am So you need to choose if you want "feat." or Multi Artists
That's what I was afraid of... ;-)

I'm stick to "ArtistX feat. ArtistY" then, the alternative just looks terrible when playing tracks on the end devices. no criticism, just my personal perception.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Andre_H wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:35 am Hi folks,

A question regarding the Artist-Field:

If any of my track has an "ArtistX featuring ArtistY" content, i can enter that as ...
  • "ArtistX; ArtistY ... and then get the track listed under both artists in the main lists, which is fine
  • "ArtistX feat. ArtistY", what looks far better then the first option when playing the song.
Is there any way to get both?
You may be able to do something, but it is klutzy.
See the Display Format option at Tools>Options>Player>PlaybackRules
That allows you to customise what is displayed while the track is playing.
The playback is configurable using a Mask syntax, which is described here

I have not tried this but of you should be able to::
  • put the "ArtistX feat. ArtistY" info into one of the Custom tags, just for those tracks where it is applicable
  • you should then be able to write a mask that will cause the player to display the custom tag if it non-blank, otherwise display the artist tag.
  • ie. it would override the artist name, with the name in the custom column, but only if the custom tag is non-blank.
  • the artist tag could then use the ArtistX; ArtistY format, which will index both artists individually
Yeah, it's kludgy :D
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi Barry,

Thanx for the idea. Unfortunatly, i have all custom tags already in use, and that wouldn't change anything for MMA, DLNA, Android Auto or any non MMW player. :(

Guess i have to stick to the "feat." thing.

Peke

Post by Peke »

Andre_H wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:51 am I'm stick to "ArtistX feat. ArtistY" then, the alternative just looks terrible when playing tracks on the end devices. no criticism, just my personal perception.
I tend to agree, but when looking at 50 "David Guetta feat. ......" or "Alan Walker feat. ....." and when Find more from same do not work as it lists 1 track then seeing ";" is preferred over looks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

I've always taken the view that it should be Artist X - Track ft. Artist Y - after all it is the track that features Artist Y, not Artist X.