MMW5 and playlists

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

hdubnow

MMW5 and playlists

Post by hdubnow »

There is a new feature in MMW5 that I would like to turn off, but I don't see how in the Using Playlists help page. My workflow has me adding few songs to many playlists, instead of sending many songs to one or few playlists. The idea of drag and drop is good, but doesn't work well when you add one song to many playlists, as the playlists all open, taking screen real estate. Is there a way to go back to MMW4 functionality and not open a playlist you send a song to?

Also, in MMW4 the number of recent playlists in the send to playlist window was five, and in MMW5 it has been reduced to three. It would be great if that were configurable, since I frequently have one song in up to eight or nine playlists. If that isn't possible, simply increasing the number of recently used playlists back to five would be better than the current three.

Thanks.

-Harold
Peke

Re: MMW5 and playlists

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In MM4 there was a plugin that would allow you to check mark playlists which you want to have that playlist in.

I am thinking as you need to put few tracks to many playlists I would suggest that you try to use auto-playlists criteria so that MM auto add these tracks to playlists?

Out of curiosity I wonder why there is a need to add few tracks to many playlists and how many is many?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no setting for this.
hdubnow

Post by hdubnow »

Peke, that is a good question and requires a somewhat involved answer. I have about 42,000 songs in the folder that gets synced to my phone, spanning 178 genres. I have 195 playlists that are synced, of which 8 are auto-playlists and 187 are regular playlists. Of the 187 regular playlists, 53 are "mix tapes," meaning they are of shorter duration (1-2 hours) and meant to be played front-to-back (not in shuffle mode), leaving 134 playlists meant to be played using random, or shuffle play. All of the 134 playlists are long, where most contain hundreds of songs and several contain more than 1,000 songs. One playlist even contains more than 5,000 songs.

When I say one song is contained in many playlists, it's common for an album track to be in 4-8 regular playlists, and a hit song to be in 5-10 regular playlists. Rarely, songs are in more then 10 regular playlists. All of my auto-playlists are comprised of the contents of smaller playlists, and most songs in a regular playlist are also in at least 2 auto-playlists.

If I'm applying songs from an album I've bought, depending on the album I might use send-to-playlist for 4 or more songs from the album, and they may go to 10 or more playlists. After working on an album, I find there are so many playlists open at one time they are squished so much there is no way to distinguish which playlist is which. In addition, I find I have to keep closing the playlists so I don't eat too much into the screen real estate for the rest of MediaMonkey. Which is why the new feature is useless to me and I'd prefer to not have that behavior when using send-to-playlist.

Lowlander, I was hoping I just missed existing features in the documentation, but in reality I expected they would be feature requests.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Harold