Plans for casting to Echo/Alexa? [#15517]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Chondog

Plans for casting to Echo/Alexa? [#15517]

Post by Chondog »

I see that we can cast MM5 to Google Home devices. Are there any plans to add the ability to cast to Echo devices? Sorry if this was asked before. I searched, but didn't find any reference to this.
Peke

Re: Plans for casting to Echo/Alexa?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When you try to cast in MM5 what do you get? Any other app that can cast to Echo/Alexa?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Chondog

Post by Chondog »

When I hit cast, I only see my Google Home mini. Obviously, Spotify allows for casting to my echo. That's the only other music service that I use. I just wondered why my Google Home mini shows, but not the Echo.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Chondog wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 am I just wondered why my Google Home mini shows, but not the Echo.
Obviously because Echo uses the "Alexa Cast" protocol (that is not supported by MM), while Google Home uses "Google Cast" protocol.

Entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15517
Chondog

Re: Plans for casting to Echo/Alexa? [#15517]

Post by Chondog »

Excellent. Thanks for working on it.
the.archivist

Post by the.archivist »

Curious if there has been any further progress on using Alexa and MM to stream music to the Alexa devices? (Dot, echo, whatever...)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please try latest version from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d as we have added several enhancements for casting to Audio only devices.
Best regards,
Peke
Chondog

Post by Chondog »

I've downloaded the latest version of MM5 Beta and it seems the only available option to cast is to "play to internal player". I have no other options. Is there a method to opening up more casting options?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
MM4 supports only UPnP, DLNA renderers
MM5 supports UPnP, DLNA and Google Cast (devices like Chromecast, Google Home etc.), other casting protocols are not implemented yet (and are planned for 5.1)
DJJTBKK

Post by DJJTBKK »

So - almost one year has passed after the prior comments on this topic, any update on casting to Alexa/Echo devises? Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ludek wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pmother casting protocols are not implemented yet (and are planned for 5.1)
MediaMonkey 5.0 hasn't been released yet (they're getting close), so MediaMonkey 5.1 is still a long ways away.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Is the latest MM5 (5.0.4.2655) already capable of streaming to an Amazon Echo Dot gen 5?

Ate least the casting icon on the bottom of MM does not reveal any appropriate target, while others, like some Sonos devices do.

Thanks,
Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Zonky wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:15 am Is the latest MM5 (5.0.4.2655) already capable of streaming to an Amazon Echo Dot gen 5?
Amazon devices do not support chromecast, but their proprietary format https://smarthomestarter.com/does-alexa ... hromecast/ so some devices support both formats some do not. Investigation the requirements for Amazon protocols is on our To-Do.
Best regards,
Peke
Schwabenmic

Post by Schwabenmic »

When I start the Spotify app on android I can chose on which Amazon device I want to stream on.
Till now I have not tested to connect the phone via Bluetooth with an Amazon device I want to stream on. But I think this will work. But then I have to do the connect each time. That's not practible.
So are there plans to stream from the mm GUI direct to a spot or other Amazon device?

Greets
Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not yet as explained it is scheduled for revising to implementation MM 5.1 https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 98#p465198
Best regards,
Peke