Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

kathy2343

Re: Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Post by kathy2343 »

Thank you, Lowlander. I had already updated by the time I received your message (though the thread and trouble tickets indicated that this problem had been resolved in a much earlier build than I was on). I'm now on 5.0.3.2627, which is the current build as of today, 7/1/22.

The problem is still there. Here's what happened today.
* With MM closed, I changed my system speaker.
* I opened MM, and it played through the selected speaker.
* With MM still open and playback paused, I changed the system speaker.
* MM did not adjust to the speaker change until I closed and reopened the program.

Somehow MM isn't getting the word that the system has made a change until it (MM) is reopened.

It's not an intolerable problem, but here's why it's an annoyance. I use a Bluetooth speaker for better quality than my system (a laptop) speaker. If I reboot the computer or the BT speaker goes offline, the computer changes to the system speaker. I may not think to check it before opening MM and starting playback, so I then want to change to the BT speaker. And that requires an MM restart.

I appreciate the help!
Lowlander

Re: Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Post by Lowlander »

Which Output Plugin is giving this problem (does a different one work) and what Audio Device is selected in the Output Plugin?
kathy2343

Post by kathy2343 »

MM WASAPI output (middle option in the list), configured to Default Device. Exclusive mode is not checked.

I've hesitated to try anything different because though I'm a fairly tech savvy computer user overall, the MM documentation on topics like this is above my pay grade and I don't understand the implications of a change. Should I try DirectSound and/or Waveout?

Any simple, plain English explanation of what each one does would be welcome. :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can try DirectSound and see if it behaves as expected.
kathy2343

Post by kathy2343 »

I'll try it. Thanks for your help, Lowlander!
kathy2343

Post by kathy2343 »

Lowlander and future readers--switching to direct sound seems to have solved the problem. Now when I switch speakers through the system, even with MM open and in the middle of playing a song, it immediately recognizes the change and switches over. Yay!

As I mentioned, I had been hesitant to change the MM output setting away from the default because the instructions don't explain very clearly what each option means. So I appreciate the encouragement to try.

Thanks so much, Lowlander! I hope you're reading the forum next time I have a problem. :)