MMA - SD Card not recognised so can't sync

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

MMA - SD Card not recognised so can't sync

Post by MattTown »

Long time MM3/4 user, have had two way USB-based sync of specific auto playlists working for years.

Updated to MM5 vers 5.0.3.2627 (portable) on PC and have MMA vers 1.4.3.0950 on my Nokia 8.1 running Android 11. Tried using USB sync, nothing happened. Have been trying to get WiFi sync working for weeks, no luck.

What is working for Wifi sync:
  • Sync profiles for the internal and SD card Nokia 8.1 storage devices are present in MM5, possibly inherited from the MM4 configuration. I only use the SD Card device and am reasonably confident of its configuration. I don't want to use the Phone Internal Shared Memory because its full of other stuff.
  • Have enabled the MM5 media server, and it can be found by the phone's MMA after phone reboot.
  • I have added folders from the Sandisk SD Card to MMA via the Library Folders screen.
  • Phone MMA options for WiFi Sync show the internal shared storage device, but I dont' want to synch there.
What is not working:
  • The SD Card does not show in the WiFi Sync options and so the MM5 device configs on the PC will fail.
  • Initiating Sync Now in MMA seems to act but does nothing, presumably because of the previous point.
  • Sometimes MMA fails to find the open and running MM5 media server.
I have tried to follow the guidance in .../knowledge-base/mma-general/mma-cant-access-sd-card/ but that invokes functions that are not available in Options on my version of MMA and so its utility is limited. In any case, I got the impression that once the SD card had been added to the library then MMA should show the SD card device. If I'm missing something here then I'll need advice specific to Android 11.

Cheers

Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Peke

Re: MMA - SD Card not recognised so can't sync

Post by Peke »

Hi,
is your SDcard formatted as internal Storage or as External. Some devices when you format SDcard As internal storage, they mount it as internal Storage folder to expand capacity of storage?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Hi Peke,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to answer your question, the Android 11 OS on my phone uses subtlely different terminology. However, as far as I can tell the SD card is regarded as an external device and has not been added to the internal system memory.

Here's a linked thumbnail of the phone's summary of the drives:

MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Hi Peke,
this "no SD card" issue appears to be on the critical path to me getting MMA synching for me. The SD card appears to be not "internal" storage. Is there any further progress that I can make?
matt
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sorry for late reply, I managed to replicate your issue, but with a twist eg. SD card was about to die and put itself in read only mode so it showed as portable OTG SDcard as soon as inserted new sdcard and formatted it as media on device it showed as external Storage and it was available in MMA. Note, While in read mode I could access it using folders, but not add it to MMA library. Strange thing.

EDIT: Then I tested on my Moto X4 phone and I can confirm exact behavior like described at https://help.republicwireless.com/hc/en ... l-Storage- If I format it as portable then I can use Card Reader to sync and if I connect as internal then I can't and profile settings needs to be changed so that data goes to SDCard (same thing on my daughters Huawei P30 worked differently I still was able to sync directly to SD card even it was formatted as internal storage).
Best regards,
Peke
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Thanks for the reply Peke.

I'm not entirely sure how the terminology you're using for the Motorola example maps across to the Android 11 on my Nokia 8.1. Do you have access to an Android11 phone for testing MMA?

Thanks for the hints about syncing directly to the SD card - I'm assuming that this happens with the SD card removed from the phone. I don't have the option for directly syncing to the SD card because I don't want to be removing the SD card from the Nokia 8.1 (its fiddly and involves shutting down the phone), so I prefer to get the WIFI sync work. Besides, would playcounts and ratings sync if the SD card was removed from the phone?

I'll try to replace the SD Card in the phone and see if that changes things. However, I wasn't getting this sync problem with MMA a year ago, but I imagine that the card could have degraded since then.

Cheers
Matt
Last edited by MattTown on Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

MattTown wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pm I'll try to replace the SD Card in the phone and see if that changes things. However, I wasn't getting this sync problem with MMA a year ago, but I imagine that the card could have degraded since then.
Or you got some OS upgrade that changed permissions :(
MattTown wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pm Thanks for the hints about syncing directly to the SD card - I'm that happens with the SD card removed from the phone. I don't have the option for directly syncing to the SD card because I can't readily remove the SD card from the Nokia 8.1,
I am not sure I completely understand that.
Best regards,
Peke
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Sorry Peke, I've clarified the meaning of my previous post, let me know if that is still unclear.
Cheers
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

After ignoring the problem for three months I'm happy to report that syncing initiated from MMA worked first time and completely, doing what I had configured MM5 to do. The only things that had changed from the earlier posts are:
  • replacement of the SD card (which didn't on its own solve the sync problem) and
  • upgrade of the MM5 to 5.0.4.2682.
Cheers
Matt