Connection to network drive lost

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

willyvds

Connection to network drive lost

Post by willyvds »

MM5 keeps loosing connection to my network drive on one of my PC's so the songs are greyed out.
It can find the media files using "find missing files" but on this one pc I have to do that again every time after starting MM5. Obviously that's not the idea.
On my other pc's, it works fine.
Any suggestions how to resolve this?
Lowlander

Re: Connection to network drive lost

Post by Lowlander »

Did you scan the files via the UNC Path (recommended) or a Mapped Drive? Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 5 are you using?
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Oops, sorry. This PC is still on MM4. I'll first upgrade to MM5 and see if that helps.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I have installed MM5 on my PC's. This one PC is still giving a lot of problems. This particular PC is connected to an amplifier and it is in fact mainly used for running MM. This is what happens.
I start the PC, and start MM5. Either nothing happens or the MM5 startup screens pops up and nothing happens after that.
The only thing that helps is to restart the PC a couple of times and each time try to start MM5. After 2-4 restarts, all of a sudden it works. But not without difficulty. All sorts of errors occur with updating the database (e.g. to update the playcount).

It seems as if the connection to the network drive is somehow not accessible for MM. At least that's my impression.

We have been struggeling with this issue for weeks, so it is not incidental. Any suggestions what I could do or try?
Peke

Post by Peke »

HI,
You can create two separate Debug logs one for MM4 and One for MM5 and open support ticket so taht we can analyze them and see what is going on. That behavior is strange and we should to the root of the issue, especially as it is serious and there would be at least tens of recent reports of same or similar behavior.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the database file also stored on the network drive?
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

We have 4 pc's in our house, and everything is stored on the network drive: music files plus databases. This works fine (as long as we don't use 1 database from multiple pc's at the same time), just not on this particular PC. We already had problems with MM4 and migrating to MM5 did not solve the problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If, after you restart the PC, open the network location in File Explorer and then start MediaMonkey. Do you still experience problems?
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

It's very much trial and error. This used to help but not anymore, at least not always.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My assumption is that MediaMonkey is trying to connect before either the network share has spun up or the PC has established a connection to it.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

But connecting to the network drive, even going to the folder where the .mp3 files are, before starting MM does not solve the problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It seems you didn't answer if this is a mapped drive.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Yes it is a mapped drive.

Is it possible that the newest release of MM5 did solve this problem? Because since a few days the issue does not occur anymore.