Restaurant digital jukebox

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Rock Show Grill

Restaurant digital jukebox

Post by Rock Show Grill »

I have a rock-music themed restaurant and I'm interested in setting up a sort of digital jukebox that customers can use to select the music played. I've talked to programmers and they asked for 40k to do it from scratch, but I have a feeling that MM5 has most everything I need already built in, I'm just missing a critical piece (I think).

For example, a basic solution could be an in-house website that hooks into the MM5 database to list existing song titles. Users would log in to the website, find the song they want, choose it, and then the song would be added to the end of the current queue or played next. That's basically it.

So essentially the need would either be an on-the-fly management of the playlist via PHP/text editing (that MM5 recognizes every time the playlist is updated and acts accordingly) or as an alternative the constant monitoring of a directory as MP3s of FLACs get copied into it, playing the songs in the order of the filename (files named as Song 001, Song 010, Song 020 etc to allow for subsequent additions to play first, i.e. Song 005, Song 011).

My question is if this is currently possible with the existing MM5. I've tried a number of solutions using dynamic lists etc but haven't found anything that works. Or if there are any other good ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Peke

Re: Restaurant digital jukebox

Post by Peke »

Hi,
HMMMM.. I moved topic to developer forum to see if someone can pick it up an dI am sure it can be made for much less than 40k.

Personally I would do it like this:
1. Create Android APP:
- that have own keyboard and search option,
- leaving around 1.5cm around edges not used (so that users use touch can't swipe from edges to get to original launcher and settings)
- Create MM5 plugin (remote server) that would be used to query MM5 library and return list
- Make custom frame for tabled so that users can't access 1.5cm around edges and build it into "Rock Hall of fame request box"
- all settings can be customized on server side locally (BY DJ for example) so that track can't be too requested (once an hour)
- Create some sort of vote system that can allow customers to scan QR code to vote (Each paid drink gets a vote) and for example one that put track on QUEUE gets free beer once track is played (track once played needs to be requested again)

Estimated cost hardware Would be
a) raspberry Pi (WiFi) + LCD (With Touch)
b) Android Tablet 11"+
c) Android BOX + LCD (With Touch)

Also you would need custom desk/box frame and panel.

Software dev time, full screen custom Screen saver to drive MM5 query on server.

Few pointers:
- Check MM5 Party mode and its settings.
- MM5 have Auto Monitoring of folders and if you copy tracks slow enough they will be added in order of copy, so I tried creating - Auto-Playlist with limit of one track -> Never played -> Sorted Date added (descending) -> Enable Auto-DJ -> Retain at least 5 next tracks and it sort of work. Main problem there is that you will have duplicates if you get multiple requests of same track.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Re: Restaurant digital jukebox

Post by Ludek »

Check View > Party mode
especialy with setting to full screen, password protected and default action set to "Play last", viz. Options > Party Mode