Song exists in different (smart) playlists - how to minimalize space on phone?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MusicKing

Song exists in different (smart) playlists - how to minimalize space on phone?

Post by MusicKing »

In MediaMonkey, I have several (smart) playlists, and sometimes I have a song that appears in different playlists. For example, a song that exists in a 'Rock' playlist and again in a 'Favorites' playlist. And this for quite a lot of songs that I have.

When I start syncing these playlists with MMA, this song is also copied several times to the different playlists on the phone. Of course, this requires a lot of extra memory on the phone.

Is there a possibility to copy such a song to the phone only 1 time and that the other playlists 'refer' to the song, as it were? So that you don't spend so much memory on copies? Or is there perhaps another solution to this problem?

Hopefully you understand my question a bit. Thank you in advance!
Peke

Re: Song exists in different (smart) playlists - how to minimalize space on phone?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Are you syncing using WiFi or USB and if it is USB it really depends on your destination mask if it will be duplicated.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MusicKing

Re: Song exists in different (smart) playlists - how to minimalize space on phone?

Post by MusicKing »

Peke wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:59 pm Hi,
Are you syncing using WiFi or USB and if it is USB it really depends on your destination mask if it will be duplicated.
I'm using Wifi sync
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

I could still use some help though
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tested on three devices and If I sync Only playlists while having Destination Mask default Duplicate tracks are not transferred and Playlists contain all tracks. That means MM will know just to point to sam etrack in multiple playlist not copy them again.
Best regards,
Peke
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Can you explain to me how you synced 'Only playlists'? And more importantly, where I can find that 'Destination Mask' settings? Because I'm a bit lost here to be honest.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
See my Moto Phone settings Where all is disabled except few playlists, also you can see my destination mask
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you use Sync instead of Send To, the latter does duplicate.
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:07 pm Make sure you use Sync instead of Send To, the latter does duplicate.
1) Where do select 'Sync' or 'Send To'? I don't see them in the images you've send

2) I've only selected 1 of my playlists with just 10 songs in it, just to test a little bit

3) I've tried using the same Music setting in the 'File Locations' part as in the image you've send

My result now is that MMA copies the playlist - and songs of that playlist - to my phone succesfully. But........the playlist is empty, yet I can find the songs on my phone.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong then?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
a)
1. Connect device USB
2. Select it under Devices and Services Tree node
3. Click on Sync Now

b)
1. Connect device USB
2. Right click on Playlist -> Send To -> SYNC: DEVICE
Best regards,
Peke
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:57 pm Hi,
a)
1. Connect device USB
2. Select it under Devices and Services Tree node
3. Click on Sync Now

b)
1. Connect device USB
2. Right click on Playlist -> Send To -> SYNC: DEVICE
I've tried both, with the same result. The playlist and songs are succesfully synced with MMA but in MMA the playlist is empty.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Strange, when I do either Playlist are synced normally.

Can you delete content on device playlist folder before sync and delete those empty playlist sin MMA?
Best regards,
Peke
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:14 pm Hi,
Strange, when I do either Playlist are synced normally.

Can you delete content on device playlist folder before sync and delete those empty playlist sin MMA?
Yeah I've deleted all the MM content on the phone before the sync. Still with no luck. But perhaps can you show me images/screenshots with ALL the settings you used? Then I can use the exact same settings and try it again. I've got the feeling I'm just missing ONE tiny detail......
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only difference is maybe that I use MMA Beta version from ⋮ -> ABout MediaMonkey -> Apply for beta Tester and it is build 955/960.

Best regards,
Peke
MusicKing

Post by MusicKing »

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:26 pm Hi,
Only difference is maybe that I use MMA Beta version from ⋮ -> ABout MediaMonkey -> Apply for beta Tester and it is build 955/960.

I've tried it with another small playlist of mine and that one worked. I'm still figuring out why that other playlist didn't sync......