WiFi Sync server does not work with 802.3ad (LACP) Teaming.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

GibsonXXI

WiFi Sync server does not work with 802.3ad (LACP) Teaming.

Post by GibsonXXI »

My main desktop system has twin Ethernet controllers by Intel (1x i218-V and 1x i211). MediaMonkey's sync server will not work with this configuration when using Intel's Advanced Network Services to create a bonded team / aggregated link for improved performance using the 802.3ad (LACP) protocol. Disable the teaming of the two interfaces, restart MMW or the system as a whole, and it works fine.

It's my belief that MMW/MMS is bonding to the first available physical ethernet controller reported by Windows rather than the teaming gateway interface as should be the case. When Teaming is initiated all TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 functionality/traffic is disabled in the two physical adapters in Windows, and traffic routed through a 3rd (Virtual) adapter instead. This 3rd adapter (named Ethernet 3 by default) then becomes the gateway for all inbound / outbound traffic on that system.

As indicated above, disable the team, and MMS can successfully advertise the server over the LAN. Enable it and it's not even visible on the system it's being run on, and the "Check Now" button on the MMS server page in MMW fails with a 404 error. This means I am unable to use MMS or WiFi sync at all on this system, neither can I control MMW from any other device on the network.

I am not prepared to disable the teaming (permanently) to get this working, so consider this a FYI if it's decided this is unfixable in MMW/MMS.

Regards,

Dan / Gib.
Lowlander

Re: WiFi Sync server does not work with 802.3ad (LACP) Teaming.

Post by Lowlander »

Can you select the correct IP to be used on the Server tab of the Media Sharing settings?
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

Yes. This has no effect on the ability of the server to see the LAN or vice-versa. Even changing the "Check Now" URL link generated from the host IP address to 127.0.0.1 (loopback) has no effect either. The server cannot be reached / accessed while the Link Aggregation is in effect. The Mediamonkey (MMS) server icon does not show up in "My Computer / Network" in Windows Explorer either, even though the service is apparently running (according to services.msc).

The Firewall is not to blame. MediaMonkey has been granted access through the Windows Firewall (I even tried with the firewall flat-out disabled - no change). I do not know if it's a requirement to allow access for the MMS component seperately, but this wasn't nessecary without Link Aggregation running, and it worked then, but flat out refuses under Link Aggregation.

I do have to run the twin ethernet ports through a managed switch (NETGEAR GS-308T) but the only advanced functionality being used on that is the absolute minimum required to get the Link Aggregation to work. I don't understand networking enough to use most of it's 'advanced' features. The same switch works fine if the team is disabled/removed on the PC and ports removed from the LAG on the switch.

I might point out here, that I'm running Windows 10 Pro (21H1) Build: 19043.2006, Windows Feature Pack: 120.2212.4180.0. The Intel PROSet Ethernet Drivers are version 27.6. The MediaMonkey version is 5.0.4.2663 (Beta - non-debug).

Dan / Gib.
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

Additional Note...

Windows native file sharing is not affected by this issue or the LAG. I can and am sharing my Music library (folders) across the LAN via Windows native, built-in sharing and this works without issue. I can successfully stream tracks directly on other systems, but this doesn't help in the case of Android systems like the tablet or phone which lack the same control or UI as a Windows device.

I have grave concern for anyone using VPN software which uses a similar trick as Intel's ANS to provide a gateway virtual adapter, as they will likely have similar issues, unless of course i've done something dumb and it's a mis-configuration on my part (which I've also not ruled out at this stage).

;)

Dan / Gib.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is this an issue with MediaMonkey Server (a separate product) or MediaMonkey 5's Media Server? If the latter, can you run MediaMonkey 5 itself instead of as a Service and does the IP setting then still have no affect?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Even software LACP should work, but only if both end support or one end would see two IP addresses assigned to LACP group.
I Use LACP for at least 9 years and have not a single issue, with recent add (2 years ago) of two ASUS RT-AX92U in AiMESH mode for better coverage.
Here is my current setup, MMS is on QNAP NAS, MM5 on Main PC and have multiple devices that sync over WiFi.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:47 pm Is this an issue with MediaMonkey Server (a separate product) or MediaMonkey 5's Media Server? If the latter, can you run MediaMonkey 5 itself instead of as a Service and does the IP setting then still have no affect?
It's MediaMonkey's Media Server. Sorry if I confused it with the separate product (MMS). I also have a QNAP NAS, but since I have Subsonic running on it, I don't need MMS for that. I don't like the CLI aspect of getting it installed TBH either. If It was in the form of a dedicated qpkg, I'd try it out, but from what i've read here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

No. Nothing has any effect. The Media Server shows up in MM5 as 'running', but go to 'options -> check...', a Firefox instance starts, and attempts to load the URL 'http://192.168.0.20:13136/DeviceDescription.xml' but Firefox simply fails to load the page after the timeout period with the 'Unable to connect' page.

Dan / Gib.
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

...Looks to be that this issue was/is more Windows 10 'strangeness'.

Decided to force through the update to 21H2 by fixing some outstanding issues that were causing the update to BSOD last time I tried it, and subsequently cleared / reset the Windows Firewall back to defaults for good measure.

I then got a prompt from Windows Firewall, as to whether to allow "MediaMonkeyEngine" network access by running the service manually via 'services.msc'. Accepted the request, and now it seems to be working. If the "Add Windows Firewall Rule" option was supposed to cover this (And not just MediaMonkey itself), it didn't work for some inexplicable reason. Probably, again, Windows 10 strangeness as when I set up the service in MediaMonkey, the account password entered was accepted without issue. I did notice that while "MediaMonkey 5" is shown in the list of 'Allowed Apps', 'MediaMonkeyEngine' isn't shown at all, even though I've been prompted to allow it, and accepted the request. Either way, it's working as expected (at the moment).

Whether it'll survive a reboot, time will tell.

Dan / Gib.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
GibsonXXI wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 pm I don't like the CLI aspect of getting it installed TBH either. If It was in the form of a dedicated qpkg, I'd try it out, but from what i've read here, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I do have QPKG of MMS compiled, and have prepared compile scripts (it needs to be done on QNAP due the signing), but it is an older version. Waiting till more stable it becomes in order to create new QPKG and maybe I publish it on https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/howto/1 repository.
GibsonXXI wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 pm No. Nothing has any effect. The Media Server shows up in MM5 as 'running', but go to 'options -> check...', a Firefox instance starts, and attempts to load the URL 'http://192.168.0.20:13136/DeviceDescription.xml' but Firefox simply fails to load the page after the timeout period with the 'Unable to connect' page.
That is clear evidence of issue with firewall as check button creates loop (PC -> Router/Gateway -> PC) to check external access to see if MM server is visible and scanning of QR code eliminates typos in external test device.
Best regards,
Peke
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

I know what it is now.

Prior to doing the Windows build update, I uninstalled the 'maxView Storage Manager' software for my Adaptec SAS/SATA RAID card, as I've had issues in the past where it refuses (valid) credentials as invalid after such an update, requiring an uninstall, reboot, and a follow-up re-install. So at the point of my previous post, it wasn't installed (The software is optional, not required for general operation of the hardware).

After re-installing the software, the issue returned. The 'maxView Storage Manager' software (v3.07 Build: 23850) installs two services:

maxView Redfish Server
maxView Storage Manager WebServer (Apache Tomcat 9.0.38 Server)

By default the startup type is set to 'Automatic', and on my system both of these always get loaded / started prior to MediaMonkey's service. If that happens, it appears that MediaMonkey's service will start, but won't be reachable from anything, including the local system. Not only that but I also start getting spammed with e-mail notifications from the storage manager about drive failures and server disconnections that are, themselves, in error. There's no issues with any drives connected to the card, I've checked them. Set the two services to 'Delayed Start', and both they and MediaMonkey's service seem to co-exist without issue.

As to why this happens I don't know. The two Web Servers use ports 8081 and 8443.

Someone might want to edit the thread title to reflect this revelation, as it's (now) quite obvious to me that my initial supposition (about LACP) was indeed incorrect.

Dan / Gib.
Last edited by GibsonXXI on Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

Peke wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:15 pm Hi,
GibsonXXI wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 pm I don't like the CLI aspect of getting it installed TBH either. If It was in the form of a dedicated qpkg, I'd try it out, but from what i've read here, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I do have QPKG of MMS compiled, and have prepared compile scripts (it needs to be done on QNAP due the signing), but it is an older version. Waiting till more stable it becomes in order to create new QPKG and maybe I publish it on https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/howto/1 repository.
Good choice. It seems to me that most of the community add-ons seem to migrate there these days (QNAP_Stephane being the most prolific add-on creator, as well as founding member of QnapClub.eu).

I'll keep an eye out for it. Not against using such an addon, but for something like this would prefer some kind of control over it's use via QTS rather than having to fire-up WinSCP / PuTTy just to work with it.

:)

Dan / Gib.
Peke

Post by Peke »

GibsonXXI wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:14 pm Good choice. It seems to me that most of the community add-ons seem to migrate there these days (QNAP_Stephane being the most prolific add-on creator, as well as founding member of QnapClub.eu).

I'll keep an eye out for it. Not against using such an addon, but for something like this would prefer some kind of control over it's use via QTS rather than having to fire-up WinSCP / PuTTy just to work with it.
:)
Dan / Gib.
Could not agree more was in contact with QNAP_Stephane, but time not permitted to do more. ATM I am bragging about to get working GCC 8.4.0 compiler running on my NAS, which I need for building latest Node.JS and Mono.
Best regards,
Peke
GibsonXXI

Post by GibsonXXI »

There is also a native .NET implementation available for QNAP now, so you might wish to go down that route as opposed to Mono. Mono has had it's issues on Linux in general if what i've read is to be believed. And all the 'arr' apps (aside from Sonarr) have also migrated to .NET and away from Mono, so not sure how long it will continue to be maintained now that .NET is available.

Not really familiar with either, as I've not done any coding since the Borland Turbo Pascal / Turbo C++ (DOS) days, personally.

Either way, thanks for the tips and advice in this thread, and i'll keep a keen eye on the QNapClub.eu store for a future addition of MMS to test.

I hate unsolved mysteries, lol.

;)

Dan / Gib.