Problems ripping from external CD/DVD drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JoanneD

Problems ripping from external CD/DVD drive

Post by JoanneD »

Greetings

I am new to the forums and also to MediaMonkey. I have been unable to build my library as MM is not accepting my CD/DVD drive for ripping. I am running a Windows 10 laptop with an external CD/DVD optical drive (reader & writer)(both PC and optical drive are only a year old)(and I'm trying to rip normal/commercially bought CDs). MM shows a pop-up-window saying ‘No Audio CD was found’, and asking to insert a CD, but the 'Tree' is showing 'Audio CD', and via Windows I can right-click the CD to play with MM and it plays in MM, but retrieves no information, and the 'Tools/Rip Audio CD' just generates the ‘No Audio CD was found’ again. As a workaround, I can rip into Windows Media Player - which is automatically retrieving all the CD track numbers, names, artist, album name, etc, etc (not sure if that is information or meta data...but whatever it's called MM is not able to pull any of it (all tracks just show as 'Unknown' and the track length) - after WMP has ripped the CD, MM automatically pulls in the CD including all the info/meta-data!...which is why I'm guessing there is something I'm not doing...or doing wrong!...the WMP workaround is not really a solution as I don't want to have two music setups and two sets of music libraries. I have tried searching MM, and tried to identify a solution to the problem via Youtube and Google searches, but have not found anything that has provided a solution.

Apart from the above, I'm seriously impressed with MM, I think it's an awesome bit of kit, and no doubt I will be on a learning curve for a considerable time, but if anyone can shed any light on what I might be doing wrong or what I might try, it will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Problems ripping from external CD/DVD drive

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and do you have multiple CD/DVD drives in the system?
JoanneD

Post by JoanneD »

Hi Lowlander, thanks for taking the time to reply to my query.

The Readme files gives my version MediaMonkey 4.1
My MediaMonkey via 'Help/About' gives version 4.1.19.1859 Standard Edition. I've just had a quick look over all the tabs to see if I could find a way to update it - I couldn't find any (will look into that when I get a chance tomorrow...having said that, I have only just downloaded from MediaMonkey and installed, so I can't imagine this may be causing the issue, but not wanting to rule anything out...).

Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have an internal optical drive, hence the external. Up to now I've had no problems with it apart from physical movement resulting in disconnects (on the occasions it's resting on my lap and the USB3 cable moves), but this is quickly and easily remedied by moving the DVD drive until it connects again, and then trying not to move too much. I have also checked it has the latest drivers…Windows says it has.

By the bye, not long after I had posted my query, it occurred to me that it would have made sense to point out that as one of the things I tried to resolve my issue, was to set my default media player to MM - but I was unable to find any 'edit' button for my post. I searched MM re forum posting, and it indicated that there should be a brief opportunity to edit posts - you wouldn't happen to know what that time frame may be before the options is removed would you...don't waste time searching if you're not sure...hopefully, I'll be able to see after posting this message.

Ouch, is that late!...thanks again for replying Lowlander, much appreciated!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For starters, the connection sounds finicky, that could explain the problem.

Using an external CD drive is no problem, I have the same setup. Selecting it through the My Computer node in MediaMonkey doesn't work either?

You're up-to-date and I don't know about Forum Edit limits.
xanavar

Post by xanavar »

I seem to remember back on MediaMonkey 4 that I connected, via local network, my new laptop (without optical drive) to my old laptop (with optical drive). I could view the contents of an inserted CD in Windows File Manager. I might have mapped the optical drive on my new laptop. Ultimately I was able to rip a CD from this external optical drive using MediaMonkey on my new laptop.

Today, I have been unsuccessful with this approach. I can see the files on the CD in the remote optical drive using Windows File Explorer under Network and also in the mapped drive I created. However MediaMonkey (5.0.3.2627) browsing in Folders does not see anything (neither in the Web location of the remote PC or in the mapped drive which it does list). Not surprising then, when selecting Tools then Rip Audi CD, MM reports that no audio CD was found. I think something has changed either in a Windows or MM update.

To rip my CD, I used MediaMonkey 4 still installed on my old laptop then transferred the ripped files for import into MM 5 on my new laptop. But this solution has a limited lifespan. I will eventually purchase an external optical drive and hope that it works for ripping using MM.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I woudl first suggest that you upgrade to latest beta from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d

FYI I tested on external USB DVD (actually had two connected at same time) and had no issues rip even two CDs at same time.

1. Connect Drive(s)
2. Start MM5
3. Insert CDs
4. Start rip
5. checked rip result -> ALL ok
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts