big syncing, many crash, woe :(

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

feline1

Re: big syncing, many crash, woe :(

Post by feline1 »

Yeah, don't get me wrong - my Walkman does seem to mysteriously disconnect itself from my PC quite a lot, it probably does struggle a bit with the 1TB SD card - I guess the point is that MediaMonkey does not often cope well when this connection goes down.
Peke

Post by Peke »

feline1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:53 am Yeah, don't get me wrong - my Walkman does seem to mysteriously disconnect itself from my PC quite a lot, it probably does struggle a bit with the 1TB SD card
That is the problem if device is forcefully disconnected then MM do not have time to save progress. Unfortunately it is very possible that device gets overheated and disconnect or Windows MTP drive crashes (very common thing). Unfortunately, it is bit hard to determine what exact problem is but I do not see any way how MM can corrupt SDcard because connection and sync goes this way: Connect Device -> Windows detect device and init MTP driver -> MM detect connected device and asks windows to return MTP parameter for device -> request existing profile from device and pair with MM settings -> Reads Sync library file from device and if missing scans whole device (that can take hours, mantime all tracks are shown as Other) -> Prepare sync list -> Copy files to device -> occasionally it saves library sync progress -> once it is done it copies playlists and finally completes library save and finish sync. If device was Android and MMA is installed then MMA imports sync list and save MM library for future syncs, but as device is not Android MM5 needs to reread whole library (sometimes all files if there was changes to storage) and repeat all process from start. Problem arise if device disconnect and only thing MM can do is to try resume sync :( Copy to SDcard do not have that problem as there is no Device handling and Windows MTP driver that can in anytime make problems and MM do not have any influence on that :(

FYI I have at least 20 SDcards that died due the constant write/rewrite actions and no matter of size and warranty. Just saying as you plan to sync very often whole SDcard.
feline1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:53 am I guess the point is that MediaMonkey does not often cope well when this connection goes down.
if Device is Android and MMA is installed then MMA would reconstruct and fix corrupted/incomplete sync library so that Mm5 can continue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
feline1

Post by feline1 »

oh BLOODY HELL, here we go again.
This evening I installed the latest MMW5 5.0.4.2690

After about 10 minutes it crashed and wanted to re-start in SafeMode.

My Walkman device is now yet again showing in MMW with about 750GB of phantom 'Other' files which aren't there.
And so it tells me it can no longer sync, because it thinks there's not enough room on the device.

I am getting so sick of this happening every month or two. Life is too short, and MMW5 is making it shorter :lol:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am so sad to hear this (AGAIN). I will be polite, but in your place I would swear a lot.

Do you have Crash LOG ID?
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Peke wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:46 pm Do you have Crash LOG ID?
No, sorry - do you mean from the error message when it crashed?
Or is that a utility program?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
From that crash Window. Lower right you should see LOG ID.
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Sorry no, i dismissed the window and moved on, as I didn't realise the sync was going to clog up again with those phantom 'other' files
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please check if you have "MediaMonkey.el" file at this location "%APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\"?
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

So after a reboot, the behaviour is *slightly* redeemed -
rather than thinking the Walkman's SDCard is half full with phantom 'other' files, and there's not enough space on the card,
MMW5 seems to be resyncing the entire Walkman's SDCard from scratch, simply over-writing all the already synced files, without me first needing to reformat and wipe all the existing content off. Only 21736 files to go.... should take about 4 days :lol:

If I had £1000 I would just buy a new Sony Walkman with USB3 :-?
feline1

Post by feline1 »

Peke wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:24 pm Hi,
Can you please check if you have "MediaMonkey.el" file at this location "%APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\"?
Nope, doesn't seem to be a file called that anywhere on my hardrive, never mind in there.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Then only thing left is to catch LOG ID code :( I assume you installed debug version of 5.0.4.?
Best regards,
Peke
feline1

Post by feline1 »

No just the ordinary version.

After about 4 solid days of rock the clock syncing (punctuated by numerous crashes and ChkDisk's) I am back to having everything synced again, and no hundreds of gigabytes of phantom 'Other' files indicated on the device...
...only for MediaMonkey to still insist that none of my library is present on the device, and syncing again makes it declare there isn't enough space on it and it wants to replace all 700GB all over again. ARRRGH.