Does the "Added" field import the "Date Added" field from iTunes? [#19297]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bone0670

Does the "Added" field import the "Date Added" field from iTunes? [#19297]

Post by bone0670 »

Hi, I've been trying to get off iTunes for the longest time and MediaMonkey seems perfect, there's only 2 things I'm having trouble with at the moment.

1) After importing the generated Library.xml from iTunes, the "Date Added" field I have for the date and time when I imported the a song to iTunes doesn't seem to be carried over. Every single song in the "Added" property in MediaMonkey just says "Today 6:27PM" (the time I imported). I'm fairly certain that the Library.xml does contain this information, and I'm wondering if I did something wrong during the import or if MediaMonkey supports it.

2) This one is pretty minor and I can live without it, but iTunes has a way to "heart" a song (just a true/false value) and again, I'm pretty sure the Library.xml has that information - is there any way to represent that in MediaMonkey?

ps: I've played around with libpytunes (github . com/liamks/libpytunes) which showed me that the information should all be in the xml

Thanks!
Ludek

Re: Does the "Added" field import the "Date Added" field from iTunes?

Post by Ludek »

1) Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19297

EDIT: Will be in 5.0.4.2659

2) I haven't tested atm, but AFAIR the "heart" songs are those with Rating = 5 stars , isn't it ?

EDIT: Just testing it, and they have Loved = TRUE , so it seems really different from Rating.
i.e. it would require a new field for this value in MediaMonkey.

Code: Select all

<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>141</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>Heartbroken</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>Hooverphonic</string>
			<key>Album Artist</key><string>Hooverphonic</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>With Orchestra</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Pop</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Size</key><integer>7252592</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>171964</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>4</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2012</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2022-07-01T15:05:51Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2022-08-03T15:49:18Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>320</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>80</integer>
			<key>Album Rating</key><integer>80</integer>
			<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
			<key>Loved</key><true/>
			<key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>31FB2C406C13A7CD</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/C:/Temp/iTunes/04%20-%20Hooverphonic%20-%20Heartbroken.mp3</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
		</dict>

bone0670

Re: Does the "Added" field import the "Date Added" field from iTunes? [#19297]

Post by bone0670 »

Thanks for the reply! Great to hear that it's coming in an update down the line.

Regarding the "Loved" attribute, where would I report it or post about a feature request or anything?
Barry4679

Re: Does the "Added" field import the "Date Added" field from iTunes?

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:56 am EDIT: Just testing it, and they have Loved = TRUE , so it seems really different from Rating.
i.e. it would require a new field for this value in MediaMonkey.
Defaulting heart-marked tracks to max rating could be a useful workaround in the meantime?

Or probably better ... , if it is easy in iTunes to select and alter all tracks marked with a heart ... maybe the conversion Quick Start documentation could advise to do this and set all of these tracks to max rating?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MicrORDwave

Post by MicrORDwave »

Sorry for necro-ing, I'm new to this forum and MediaMonkey in general.

I'm running MM5.0.4.2679 and still getting the issue of the Date Added field not being imported correctly from iTunes when moving my library over. In addition, when I clear my MM database and do a re-import, after adding all the files I get a pop-up message saying that MM is unable to read my iTunes XML file and prompting me to retry or browse for another file. After manually selecting the file, it loads and the progress bar says "Importing data from iTunes", but the Added field remains the same as before, ie when I loaded my library and not when I added the tracks to iTunes.

Here's a copy of the XML file, I've opened it and verified that it does contain the information of when the track was added to iTunes -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wnFIRg ... share_link

I'd very much appreciate if someone could walk me through the steps to resolving this issue, as its more or less the only thing stopping me from fully transitioning to MM and buying a Gold license.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I can confirm that the Date added is included withing the attached XML.

Are you sure that you are scanning the files from
C:/Users/Benjamin Boey/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/
and not e.g. track copies from another location on your disk?

EDIT: I probably see how the date added could fail to transfer.
This can happen for tracks already in MM5 database and imported from XML later + the track needs to have same tags as in iTunes except for the Date Added. The workaround is to start with clean DB and import just from the XML (not adding the music folder location to Add/Rescan dialog).

I'll fix this for 5.0.4.2680 as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19297

Thanks for reporting!
MicrORDwave

Post by MicrORDwave »

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your super quick reply - I was expecting maybe a week of waiting for a response! You're right, clearing the database and checking only the box to import music from iTunes, and not the one on top to read from my music folder, worked like a charm. It might also have had something to do with my iTunes library (the .itl file) being "damaged", apparently it's been like that for over a year though I've been using it, adding new music and playlists with no issue. Once I fixed that and made sure to only check the "import from iTunes" box without also scanning the folder, my library was imported into MM with all the metadata present.

I've more or less transitioned over to MM now, will just have to redo some of the smart playlists and understand syncing to my phone a bit better. I'm also curious about any Genius-like features MM might have, or maybe something like Spotify's "most played in the last year" feature, perhaps integrating with last .fm which I've got set up; if you can point me to any threads or documentation where I can read up on that, I'd be grateful, though I understand that that'd be a little off-topic for this thread.

Thanks and have a good week ahead!
adamlove

Post by adamlove »

Hi all,

Just bought MediaMonkey and the Android app, super excited to (hopefully) be moving over from iTunes.

It seems it's not actually copying iTunes "Date Added" to MediaMonkey "Added" or "Timestamp" fields.

I've started from a clear database, and imported the recently exported iTunes XML only.
It appears that "Timestamp" is the date that the audio files were most recently modified.
For example, I changed all songs in my library by "Rüfüs Du Sol" to "Rufus Du Sol" on Friday, and they're coming up with Friday's timestamp, not with "date added" - which was many years ago - that is in iTunes.

The Date Added is essential for the way I run my music categorising, smart playlists, and music business etc. Is there a way I can get these applied to the "Added" column in MediaMonkey?
Many thanks and appreciate your help!

Adam
Peke

Post by Peke »

You must make sure you are using latest 5.0.4. release (Help -> About) from https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d in order to have that function.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts