Moving Folders using MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

OldPilot

Moving Folders using MM5

Post by OldPilot »

I have been using cut and paste routines to move folders. I thought I was doing it correctly. Today I noted that many folders had not been moved. But, only the first track in each album was moved. So maybe someone can comment on the correct way.

I would assume all I needed to do was right-click on the folder name, select 'cut', then select older name where I wanted to move to and right-click and select paste. A dialog pops up asking if I want to move all content, which I answer 'yes' (of course I want to move it all).

Well..today I discovered I have 160 instances where the first track in a folder(album) had been moved, but the folder, all the other tracks, jpegs, and playlists were left in the original location ( minus the first track, of course)

Oh well....I will experiment with careful movement to repair the situation and maybe discover something.

just complaining..........
Lowlander

Re: Moving Folders using MM5

Post by Lowlander »

That should work. Are you in Music > Location or Folders when you Cut & Paste folders?

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... enames/5.0
Barry4679

Re: Moving Folders using MM5

Post by Barry4679 »

OldPilot wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 pm I would assume all I needed to do was right-click on the folder name, select 'cut', then select older name where I wanted to move to and right-click and select paste. A dialog pops up asking if I want to move all content, which I answer 'yes' (of course I want to move it all).
I have found MM5 select and cut&paste to be temperamental beast at times.
I experienced similar failures from time to time. I don't know whether the facility is erratic, or whether they keep breaking it, and then fixing during the various beta releases.

I wouldn't do what you describe. You are relying on blind faith, ie. that MM5 has selected what you intended. From my experience they haven't earned such faith.

I do such operations in a way that forces the UI to show what I have selected. I believe that there is a very narrow path that works reliably in MM5 for file operations. ... nb Maybe some, or all, of the issues I have seen have been since fixed ... but I got burnt so badly I will never divert from this path, where I can review and confirm what action MM5 takes.

For example, in the situation that you describe:
  • I would have two tabs open, one the source and the other the target
  • when using the Folder node in either tab, I would cause it display both #1 the "List (folder)" and #2 the "Tree (folders)" View elements
  • I would select using source tab, not the Media Tree ... this way you see exactly what is selected
  • I would always use Cut&Paste ... never Drag&Drop
  • Having both tabs open allows me to easily review the action that was taken
OldPilot wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 pm A dialog pops up asking if I want to move all content, which I answer 'yes' (of course I want to move it all).
You probably realise this, but that dialog relates any non-media files that are also in the source folder ...eg. album art, or ripping log, etc
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.