Makiing MM5 "blind" to specific files and folders.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Kupuna

Makiing MM5 "blind" to specific files and folders.

Post by Kupuna »

Bought a new system and set it up with Win 11. Copied contents of previous drive onto new system. Some music files and folders on the old system (now on the new system) are identical to files and folders I already put on the new system.
When MM5 scans, it (correctly)finds an old file in the "old" material and it puts it into the library with a "new" file, creating duplicate files.
Is there a way I can control a scan that will make MM5 exclude the "old" folder contents?
I know I could do this by hand, but my error caused several dozen duplicate files to be created.

What should I do with this big pile of duplicates? I haven't had this problem before, so I'm floundering around trying to undo the damage.
Lowlander

Re: Makiing MM5 "blind" to specific files and folders.

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey only scans what you set to be scanned, but you can't exclude sub-folders for a selected folder. MediaMonkey will however ignore hidden files/folders.

Scanning does not remove files from the Library that are not set to be scanned. You can however manually remove folders from the Music > Location node as well as individual files.

You can also manage duplicates with MediaMonkey.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

It seems to me generically this kind of issue is one of the most common problems arising with Mediamonkey, where people move files to a different location, different PC, or to an external source, and have difficulty getting MM to recognize their same as before tracks as SAME instead of new tracks to be added.

This results in loss of data for these tracks such as which playlist they belong to and play history, etc. Thus, it seems this is an area where MM could really improve on its already masterful file handling.

Is there any way a scan option could be directed to Compare files found - say by filename and filesize or maybe some other unique ID contained in the database, and replace location if same, but add only if new and different?? If this were somehow possible, it would be a fantastic feature.

If in fact duplicate copies of the identical track are found in the paths being scanned, there might need to be a method to tell it which one or both to retain.

If a regular scan has already found and added duplicate files, it would then require a way to assign the new location to the older data of the pair, and then lose the newer data. It does get complicated.

Find missing files does something like this, but does not seem to resolve the whole issue for most people.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Dead Links will show moved files, and Locate Moved/Missing Files can locate them. This will need to be done after any move and before any scanning.

If you move drive you can re-assign the drive.

However it's recommended to use MediaMonkey to move files so there is no fixing of Paths needed.