Set column setting on all nodes

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

fc622000

Set column setting on all nodes

Post by fc622000 »

I have been a user of MM4 for many years and have now switched to MM5

I would like to use the same column setting in all nodes, but so far I have not been able to do this.

I have noticed that in MM5 I can save a column setting in one node but I don't know if it is possible to then transfer the same setting to all the remaining nodes.

Is it possible somehow to save this setting and transfer it to other nodes?

I think this could be a very useful option
Thank you
Rob_S

Re: Set column setting on all nodes

Post by Rob_S »

Hear, Hear!!!

Often requested, for some reason it seems not accepted or acknowledged. So far, I am not aware of any good explanation for this.

We need to be able to save a SET OF DEFAULTS that applies to all subsequently opened nodes.

There could be simply an "apply to all" button.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Unfortunately, no. But - if you point it out often enough, the developers will deal with it at some point.

Erwin Hanzl wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:16 am Ich finde, die Zuweisung von Ansichten habt Ihr gründlich verhaut - wie schon in MM4, wo man die Ansichten zu bestimmten Knoten händisch wählen mußte.

Die Lösung wäre doch gewesen, jedem Knoten eine Ansicht zuzuweisen (mit/ohne Filter, mit/ohne Kriterien, ebenso die Reihenfolge und Sortierung der Spaltenüberschriften).
Ebenso eine Zuweisung von verschiedenen Ansichten innerhalb des Knotens Playlists (Autoplaylist, Statische Playlists, mit/ohne Filter, mit/ohne Kriterien, ebenso die Reihenfolge und Sortierung der Spaltenüberschriftung).

Google-Übersetzung:
I think you screwed up the assignment of views thoroughly - like in MM4, where you had to choose the views for certain nodes manually.

The solution would have been to assign a view to each node (with/without filter, with/without criteria, likewise the order and sorting of the columns).
Also an assignment of different views within the playlists node (autoplaylist, static playlists, with/without filter, with/without criteria, likewise the order and sorting of the columns.)
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I would like to see this also.
Rob_S wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 pm Often requested, for some reason it seems not accepted or acknowledged. So far, I am not aware of any good explanation for this.
It is not a "good" explanation, but my guess would be that the reason = "backlog"

If they were going to do it, they would probably want to do it properly.
  • columns widths, as well as column selection and sequence?
  • row sort sequence?
  • Column Filter displayed?
Rob_S wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 pm There could be simply an "apply to all" button.
That probably wouldn't cut it either.
Would really need to be able to select which of the above settings, were duplicated across to which Collections and sub-nodes
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

The more I think about it, the more I like the "Apply to all" idea.

In theory, I could have several custom layouts saved, and use them individually on any current node, as we can now.

However, if I want to use any one of my particular custom layouts today, for all my nodes, I just open it, hit the "apply to all button"" and there it is!

I can revert to default layout by selecting that again, in any node, and again, apply to all.

This above is better than a single customized default layout.

Since we already have the customized saved layouts, this should be relatively easy to implement, and if you don't want to use it, it wont affect you in any way.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
gcherno

Post by gcherno »

Good feedback, team. This is probably the last remaining critical feature that is missing from MMW5, and keeping me on MMW4 (Maybe other than a return to a more robust Auto-Tag). I only work in what is now referred to as the "List View", or legacy view. Must be my spreadsheet background. Assembling the column layout(s) is very consuming of the limited time that needs be spent on data management. Aussi, if'n there was a single keystroke to remove all icons and thumbnails from MMW5, I'd be all over it. I will continue to monitor these posts for a correction to this oversight, in anticipation of entering the MMW5 (or MMW6) world. Did you just call me a "Green-Screener"? <laughing emoji> <thankful emoji>
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

Rob_S wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:37 am . . . I could have several custom layouts saved, and use them individually on any current node, as we can now.

However, if I want to use any one of my particular custom layouts today, for all my nodes, I [could] just open it, hit the "apply to all button"" and there it is!

I [could] revert to default layout by selecting that again, in any node, and again, apply to all.

This above is better than a single customized default layout.

Since we already have the customized saved layouts, this should be relatively easy to implement, and if you don't want to use it, it wont affect you in any way.
Rob, that is a great idea!
I have been frustrated to no end with the columns often being in the wrong order and/or missing. I printed my preferred setup dialog list and got quicker at setting up it each time (rather than persisting with the dodgy default column setup), thinking that maybe there is just a few 'sets' to do that might flow to other similar places. But it seems not. I typically have 30 columns open so am always scrolling back and forth!

The need for multiple saved and named column layout sets (including column widths) is very REAL. As each day's work changes emphasis (adding tracks, editing tags, reviewing tracks, playing tracks, etc) the appropriate columns visible at a glance is needed quickly. I pity a new user trying to come to grips with all of this. It must seem that the devs never sit and watch a new user struggling with basic usage techniques AND ATTENDING TO THEM PRONTO! For now, I am trusting that they are focusing heavily on structural necessities.

So many things seem to be simply unfinished in MM5 that I wish that I had waited even longer before committing to changing from MM4.

"Apply to all" is a very good start but there may be less dramatic options that could add finesse to this proposed solution, EG:
"Apply to Playing" (ie I would have several column views that would be helpful to choose between here but not elsewhere)
"Apply to all Searches"
"Apply to all Album views"
"Apply to all AutoPlaylist track listings"
etc.
That is just off the top of my head - the software structure might even have something to guide us to possibilities that make this request feasible?
Best to All.
Jim
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

There is one feature of the many list views that I really find useful, and it needs to be added into the various HELP places to give people the benefit (and maybe a tool-tip could float up at times to help too?).
I found it by experimenting after searching for the answer, and failed to find any mention.
[I did find a brief mention afterwards by accident at https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/Exploring_Tracks]:

To SORT data by a single column ie, by any one attribute, simply click the column heading. As in Windows, clicking again reverses that order.
THEN, to SORT by more column headings simply hold <Ctrl> while clicking a subsequent heading to sort in a secondary fashion.
When done correctly, a tiny number appears next to the usual sort symbol in that column's name. Ctrl+Click it again if that sort order (alone) needs reversing. And so on!! We can quickly set up a useful number of such clicks - I now use it often.

Another tip to share:
The column called "Folder" is the full folder path (ie without the filename nor extension). Handy! A column that is not available, but would also be handy, is "Containing folder", so that the column width demanded is much less.

I eventually found the post about "New Folder" being missing from the context menus when you need it in many many places. The "answer" (at this stage) is to go through the node called "Folders" in the root of the tree, where you can browse to the place that you were already at(!), and right mouse click, then find your way back to LOCATION (etc) and IT IS NOT THERE!! That IS because it does not have a track in it yet (expletives deleted) . . . . . Try and find help on "Show empty folders" and there is nothing!!! I bet hundreds of users must have searched for that (and New Folder . . ) and got no happiness. Someone really needs to be watching the things that people are searching for and making sure that answers are made available. PLEASE?
--
Jim Kelly
MMW Lifetime Gold v5.0.4.2692 Portable install with 25,000 MUSIC tracks on a 2TB (Samsung T7) Portable SSD.
Microsoft Surface Book-2, 15" 3240x2160 Notebook Computer, 16gb, 1TB SSD.
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit , Version: 22H2, OS build: 19045.3448 with current patches.
Used as above about 50% of time, and the balance attached to a Microsoft Dock to:
LAN, 3.5mm audio-out, other storage, and two extra displays via Display-ports:
30" 2560x1600 and 24" 1920x1200 (in portrait orientation), MM5 is extended across these two displays.
Also use MMRemote to provide rating edits, volume, mute, next, prev, etc whilst mobile, via WiFi.