Google Window hangs MM

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

quofiend

Google Window hangs MM

Post by quofiend »

Whenever I try to add artwork that is ON my local PC, MM insists on trying to hit the internet and the GOOGLE window "before you continue" appears and everything hangs. I cannot ACCEPT the cookies on the google window and i Have to force MM to close via task Mgr.
How do I prevent this insistence on going to google when I have all I need locally. Surely it should be an option. AM I missing a setting somewhere.
YOu cannot 'browse locally' unless you click on LOOKUP (which is crazy). And so it hits the web.. and by the time I click "browse" the google window opens.. and all hangs.
I have all metadata lookup settings OFF.
THanks
Lowlander

Re: Google Window hangs MM

Post by Lowlander »

As alternative you can drag & drop Artwork onto the Artwork tab from other places like File Explorer.

Note that if you store Artwork with the files of an Album that scanning can pick this up automatically.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you "cannot ACCEPT the cookies on the google window " ? Why can't you accept them (or reject them)--are you saying that MM freezes as soon as that dialog appears?

What is supposed to happen is that you should be able to either accept them OR reject them, and once you choose one of those options, the dialog shouldn't appear again.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

quofiend wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:35 pm YOu cannot 'browse locally' unless you click on LOOKUP (which is crazy). And so it hits the web..
I 100% agree that this is crazy. ... and confusing ... and crappy.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
quofiend

Post by quofiend »

This DUMB feature continues to frustrate the hell out of me.
Every time you choose to ADD artwork, it insists on going to the web and up comes the "Before you proceed to Google" SIGN IN/ACCEPT window, and you are now LOCKED and STUCK in limbo land. Cannot click on the ACCEPT ALL buttons. Buttons just do not work. Cannot close the window. It just sits there taking 80% of the screen. Even ALT-TAB to toggle the apps, still leaves the GOOGLE screen as the TOP screen. Task Mgr and END TASK on Media Monkey being the only way out.
If this is something I am causing then I am all ears !!!
But for me, any design of a client system that defaults to a web search, when one is NOT required or requested is simply a poor design. In this case a ridiculous one.
And BTW - I was already signed into Google. But via Media Monkey it still seems to trigger s the 'before you open google' entry screen.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I totally agree, the artwork properties dialog should have two buttons "Lookup online", and "Browse" directly within it, so user can decide in advance if they want to go online or search locally only. Please make this a feature request.

Now mine does not bring up any google window, so at some point I must have given permission and do not know how to retract that permission which I might want to do. Anyone know where this permission is stored??

However for now there is easy workaround, and that is to use File Explorer to locate the local artwork file, copy to clipboard, and then in the properties window or in the left column of the list by album view, right-click paste. No online lookup.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There should be no need to sign into Google, could it instead be a cookies permission?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Probably except some people like to block or clean all cookies, so permissions are lost.

Does MM store its own cookies for this, or does it use the chrome browser?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks