Micro player not available on Windows 11 [#19615]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Tertius3

Micro player not available on Windows 11 [#19615]

Post by Tertius3 »

I'm running Windows 11, and it's not possible to enable any taskbar toolbar for the micro player to work. Is there something I missed?

As alternative, I tried the mini player, but it is always on top, unchangeable, and always obstructing the thing behind it. I tried every location on the desktop, but wherever it is, it's always blocking something. I'm constantly moving it away or closing it in frustration. If it was not always on top and instead appearing in the Windows task list on ALT-TAB, it would be just fine. Or if it could be made transparent, so I am able to see what's behind.

The only reason I use the mini/micro player is its volume slider. I don't want to adjust the system volume (with the media keys), I only want to change the music volume. Would be nice if some volume slider could be integrated on the right-click system tray menu. Now I take a close look at it, I find a volume adjuster there - however, it is somewhat clumsy.
Erwin Hanzl

Re: Micro player not available on Windows 11

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

This solution is for Windows 10 - should be similar for Windows 11.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Tertius3

Post by Tertius3 »

Steps 2-3 aren't possible with Windows 11. If you right-click the task bar, you don't have any toolbar choice any more. This is different to Windows 10. According to other reports, this toolbar support seem to be completely gone with Windows 11. It's also not available with some hidden settings.

This is the task bar right-click menu for Windows 11:

Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

UI-Updates für Windows 11

Starting with Insider Preview Build 25211, the task manager should also be able to be started again, so that you don't have to use the search bar or the corresponding key combination.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Windows- ... e-1404516/
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Tertius3

Post by Tertius3 »

Unfortunately, this doesn't help. The function is simply not available. I suggest you get a Windows 11 system and look yourself.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

We're tracking this issue here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19615

It looks like the MicroPlayer will no longer be available in Windows 11 as toolbars were removed from the Taskbar in Windows 11.
Ludek

Re: Micro player not available on Windows 11 [#19615]

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Workaround on Windows 11 should be to install ExplorerPatcher

e.g. AudioBand also relies on ExplorerPatcher now: https://audioband.github.io/AudioBand/a ... ows11.html
Note though that we haven't tested ExplorerPatcher yet.
Tertius3

Post by Tertius3 »

I prefer a solution within MediaMonkey. I will not install 3rd party software, neither to patch some Windows component to enable legacy functionality, nor to add some middleware. Patching Windows means the functionality can go away completely every next Windows update. Middleware needs to be kept up to date in addition to the main software, and we're already in update hell. So, either it's in MediaMonkey itself, or it's gone.

If the micro player cannot be provided as of Windows 11, I have to live with it. I just want to know if it's finally gone or if it is coming back.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unfortunately the problem is Windows 11, not MediaMonkey. The only way this could be solved is if Windows 11 returned toolbars (or through third party options).
meljmartin

Post by meljmartin »

There might be some way to enhance the pop up when the cursor hovers over the pinned icon. It doesn't display the same info as on Win 10 so I suspect there might be a new API to take advantage of that.