[REQ] Drag new files directly into a playlist

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

DJSTRETCH

[REQ] Drag new files directly into a playlist

Post by DJSTRETCH »

Can we be able to drag new songs directly into a playlist.
1. create a playlist
2. drag songs not in the library directly into the playlist in step 1.
3. songs get imported into the library & that playlist at the "same time".
Barry4679

Re: [REQ] Drag new files directly into a playlist

Post by Barry4679 »

I don't know whether MM5 can do what you want, but can I ask why you would want that?
I am just asking to make sure that you understand that adding something to the MM database does not make a space-wasting duplicate of the tracks.

The MM database just indexes the tracks; it imports info to help you locate and use the track (track name, artist & album name, etc), and it stores the track location.

MM5 is a database driven app. The database is what makes MM easy to use. There is next to no cost when adding a track to the database.

If you have a heap of temporary music (a party or something), you can load them all to a temp location, and then import all into MM5. The Location subnode (eg Music>Location) allows you to isolate everything in the temp location ... so it can easily be excluded from your normal Collection, and|or you can easily Remove it all with just a single action.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
DJSTRETCH

Post by DJSTRETCH »

I have just downloaded a bunch of Dancehall music that I want to play together.
I want to drag them all from the download folder into the MM playlist directly (drag on top of the playlist) so that:

1. get auto organized to the location in the settings (Moved)
2. added to MM's DB
3. added to that playlist I drop them on.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi DJStretch,

Try adding a Collection / View for your downloads folder AND set the Add / Rescan for this folder to At Startup & Continuously.

Drag and Drop should now work (both within MMW5 for a Playlist and externally e.g. Foobar 2000).

It works for me by having 3 Windows ready in MMW5.
1). Downloads Collection View - used for initial processing of new files
2). Artists / Album view - used to compare with any existing files for the artist e.g. Genre
3). Playlist view - with the specific Playlist open i.e. not the tiled view

What I like is that the sort order is maintained - I typically use Disc / Track as the sort order.

If you include Artwork column in the Playlist then good to check every track has the album front cover!
Ian Taylor
DJSTRETCH

Post by DJSTRETCH »

I can't scan my downloads folder as there are other files in there and it keep grabbing everything even when I say that it's a music location.

That's a lot of work around to just being able to drag the files from one location into a playlist and have the files get auto organized and added to the playlist I dropped them onto.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

DJSTRETCH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm I can't scan my downloads folder as there are other files in there and it keep grabbing everything even when I say that it's a music location.

That's a lot of work around to just being able to drag the files from one location into a playlist and have the files get auto organized and added to the playlist I dropped them onto.
Hi DJStretch,

You make want to create a specific "Downloads" folder. In my case I have a separate "MEDIA" only disk and so only Music and Podcasts end up in the folder.
Ian Taylor
DJSTRETCH

Post by DJSTRETCH »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:35 am
DJSTRETCH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm I can't scan my downloads folder as there are other files in there and it keep grabbing everything even when I say that it's a music location.

Hi DJStretch,

You make want to create a specific "Downloads" folder. In my case I have a separate "MEDIA" only disk and so only Music and Podcasts end up in the folder.

My understanding of how the scan folder should work is that it only adds those files that match the extension you have specified.

I configured in options that this folder is music, file extension is mp3, wav, auto sync turned on.
I downloaded music mp3 files to the folder and those got imported. GREAT!
This folder is my browser download folder. I can't specify only put mp3 files when downloading to _music_ folder
I then put a new file in there test001.txt and that got imported into the auto organize folder. This shouldn't have happened in my opinion since I said this folder is for music and only mp3 & wav file are music files.

so now back to this issue. I wanted to be able to download "10 Reggaeton" songs (not auto organize turned on anymore due to issue above) and drag them into MM to a playlist "Reggaeton 007" and have it import the songs and add it to that playlist.

If the user drags to playlist, import the songs, and add them to the playlist.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi DJStretch,

I have just checked my MEDIA hard disk and the MUSIC folder and the only recent "unwanted" files I found are ".thm / folder_x.jpg and _X.thm". I just used File Explorer and a wildcard search then sorted by file type. I am currently Ripping around 10 CDs / 100 tracks each day. This is just to move from MP3 to FLAC before I dispose of the CDs.

I believe these "unwanted" artwork files can be avoided during the process of selecting artwork for new downloads / ripping of CDs.

Like you I created a couple of text files and you are correct, MMW5 want to copy these from the "Old Path" (MEDIA:\Downloads\Gorillaz\Gorillaz) to the New Path (MEDIA:\Gorillaz\Gorillaz\Double Bass.txt & New Text Document.txt in this test).

However, in the accompanying files dialogue I just unselect. Are you seeing this dialogue box?
Ian Taylor
DJSTRETCH

Post by DJSTRETCH »

I am using auto organize & watching a folder. So I don't get a dialog box to unselect.
I wish it would only move what is picked as Music and if you label the location as music it only imports those
DJSTRETCH

Post by DJSTRETCH »

I just want it to only import those file types I selected within the settings. Nothing else...
My work around is to drag and drop to a specific subfolder within my downloads folder that it watches.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi DJStretch,

I add new files to my empty D:\Downloads folder either by ripping a CD or from an internet download. This could be a ZIP of MP3s, separate FLAC files or a FLAC with a CUE file that needs "splitting". Often the downloads includes ancillary files such as JPGs, TXT, NFO and even M3Us.

I stress the folder is empty BUT I may do multiple downloads for a single Artist.

I open MMW5 which automatically scans the folder and then the first thing I do is select ALL files and Analyses volume. I have a Collection view that helps with this (Visible Always, Match ALL Path contain D:\Downloads). The All Tracks node of this Collection has the columns in the following order - Type, Album Artist, Artist, Album, Disc, Track, Title, Album Volume, Track Volume, BPM, Filename etc). Essentially I work on the columns left to right, sorting by the column and quickly checking the consistency of the information to edit the tags.

Typical edits include get Artist / Album Artist name consistent, adding Disc, removing qualifiers from the Album Title (e.g. Deluxe Edition) to the comments, checking Genre is consistent and multiple Genres use the semi-colon separator. What I am looking for is a situation that when I select Auto-Organise, everything is grouped correctly and tagged well.

Just before I Auto-Organise, I add BPM using FooBar and add the whole selection to Play Now. Because the Downloads folder is set to scan At StartUp and Continuously, I can see Lyrics / BPM being added. I DO NOT ADD ARTWORK at this stage because it could result in an Album Cover being saved over a previous "folder.jpg" in the situation where I am working several album from one artist at a time.

Typically, I will only play each track for 5-15 seconds which is normally enough time for the lyric (if available) to be added.

A few minutes later after all track have had a chance to add Lyrics, I auto-organise to Drive:\<Type>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title> using the Move and Rename without trimming long paths / filenames or deleting emptied folders.

Now I can view the Album(s) from the Artist node and add the artwork to all the album tracks either by looking up or browsing back to the D:\Download folder! If - for example - I am replacing an MP3 version of an album with a higher quality FLAC version, then I might need to use the Image search Browse button to delete the existing folder.jpg (otherwise it will create a .thm file).

A final check of the Album under the Artist node and then I finish by selecting All tracks / files and "Right Click", Send To, Playlist, New Playlist. Keep an eye on Album Volume at this stage, occasionally I need to re-Analyse to ensure every track / consistency of volumes!

A little involved BUT I could be handling anything from say typical 10 track album to ~500 with some sort if Artist "discography".

Hope this helps.

P.S. At the end of the day - if I have done say half a dozen Artists / Albums - I run the Files To Edit check under the Entire Library node and fix any minor issues like Unknown Artwork, Unanalysed Volume. Now I sync my device(s).
The final step is to delete and residual files left in the D:\Downloads to leave it clean and empty for the next Artist / Album.
Ian Taylor
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Drag and drop of tracks to add it to both library and playlist works, you just need to drag&drop it to Playing list at first (based on my tests)

EDIT: My test error: The step to drag & drop to Playing isn't needed.
You can just expand Playlists in the tree and drag a file from Windows Explorer and drop the files to a playlist in the tree...