MediaMonkey Breaking Paths

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Naureckas

MediaMonkey Breaking Paths

Post by Naureckas »

My version of MediaMonkey (the latest) has developed the alarming habit of changing the paths for songs so that they no longer works. If the file begins "F:\music..." it will change it to FNew Volume]\music..." which is not a real address, so it doesn't play.

I'm not exactly sure when or where it does this, but I believe it does it on exiting, and it does it to songs that are in the currently viewed window (e.g. an open playlist)--but only if they are not in Now Playing? As I say, I'm not positive about which files it's doing this to--but it's done it repeatedly, to different batches.

I can fix it by going through each song and editing the path manually, which is tedious--or by using Add/Scan Files, if the song location is findable. (My library is unfortunately spread over several drives.) I've had less success with Locate Missing Files.

I would be very grateful if someone knew how to stop it doing this!
Barry4679

Re: MediaMonkey Breaking Paths

Post by Barry4679 »

I did a scan of my library for dead links. There were none.
So either you are using MM5 differently to me, or maybe you have installed an addon that I don't use.
My prejudice would be that it is not MM5 vanilla, because it would have no need to update track paths on its own accord.
I only have an addon skin & the Sql Editor addon, over and above those that are shipped and pre-installed with MM5.
Do you have any others?
Have you setup any Tools>OptionsLibrary>Auto-organise rules? If yes, what is the Directory & Filename mask that you supplied?
Have you recently used any of the Editing options from the Tools menu?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Naureckas

Post by Naureckas »

No, this is plain vanilla Media Monkey. It was updated fairly recently to the latest version; I believe but am not sure that that's when the problem started.

I haven't used the auto-organize tools. I have been trying to slowly rationalize my library, so I use the Send to --> Folder (move) command, but that shouldn't be randomly altering other paths.

The "New Folder]" string seems like it should be a clue--it obviously got that from somewhere.

Googling around a bit didn't turn up anyone with the same problem as me, which surprised and worried me a bit!
Naureckas

Post by Naureckas »

I purposely did a search that would leave only one song in the main window when I shut off MediaMonkey last night--and sure enough, this morning it had a broken path, with the same FNew Volume]... replacing F:. With only one broken path it's not too hard to fix...still, it would be nice to know how to get it to quit doing this altogether.
MMhow2

Post by MMhow2 »

I had the same issue I think. Here is the thread that may help. viewtopic.php?p=505017#p505017
I am an innocent victim that knows nothing about MediaMonkey. Help me on my path of entertainment joy. :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Naureckas wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:57 am .... only one song in the main window when I shut off MediaMonkey last night--and sure enough, this morning it had a broken path, with the same FNew Volume]... replacing F:.
It is very strange that MM simply not recognized drive where file is. MM tracks files in library by HDD partition Serial number not by drive letter. Can you please tell us if your F: is external drive or mapped drive letter from network share or even cloud service?
When I tested things today and even I delete test track from HDD MM still recognize it normally except it reports inaccessible on playback. I only get change from F: -> [drive]: while external drive is unplugged.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please provide details about the drive? It is most common with Mapped Drives, where Windows changes the driveID when it shouldn't.

The fix is easy in MediaMonkey 5, as you can reassign the drive when it loses the drive letter.