[REQ] Support Updating ReplayGain values from file tags

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

stonefree

[REQ] Support Updating ReplayGain values from file tags

Post by stonefree »

When I first started using my phone for music, I was putting putting music on my phone so that I could play it with Amazon Music (some of the music within Amazon Music was from AutoRip by Amazon, so I just put the music in the same place as those). The player was OK at that point but it did not support gapless playback, so I briefly turned to a different Android music player Foobar2000, then Amazon Music brought gapless playback to the product, so I moved back to that as it had Android Auto support.

Then Amazon music said that they had added volume levelling but this didn't seem to be true, I wondered whether it only did it for music in the cloud, but not for stuff you had transferred onto your phone.

So I was on the look out for a product that would, I then found Foobar2000 was available and that can scan all your music for ReplayGain tags and then it applies that to its DB and your tracks are now sound levelled.

Eventually found out that there was a MediaMonkey available for Android, and was really glad to see that it supported Android Auto which Foobar2000 does not have.

Now Amazon Music has been gutted and it no longer indexes music that's present on the phone properly so large amounts of music doesn't show up, and the track levelling support doesn't work. So I'm left with either volume levelling if I use Foobar2000, but not Android Auto, or Android Auto and no volume levelling if I use either MediaMonkey or Amazon music (which is so bad now its not even worth having on the phone).

I was disappointed to find out that on MediaMonkey for Android all my tracks had a 0.0db volume levelling (this was on Version 1). I'm assuming this is due to the fact I just placed all my music on my phone with its embedded ReplayGain tags, and didn't transfer music across from Media Monkey for Windows.

I notice that version 2 of MediaMonkey works in the same way as 1 so none of my music is volume levelled. Would you be able to add a scan for ReplayGain tag info feature that would update the DB for me so that I can listen to my music without volume jumps?
rusty

Re: [REQ] Support Updating ReplayGain values from file tags

Post by rusty »

You're correct. MMA 2.0 still relies on MMW to transfer anything but basic metadata to the library. We're planning on adding reading of replay gain tags in the future.

-Rusty
stonefree

Re: [REQ] Support Updating ReplayGain values from file tags

Post by stonefree »

rusty wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:43 am You're correct. MMA 2.0 still relies on MMW to transfer anything but basic metadata to the library. We're planning on adding reading of replay gain tags in the future.

-Rusty
Oh that's awesome, thanks Rusty