Switching to new Hardwarw

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Kap1A

Switching to new Hardwarw

Post by Kap1A »

I'm about to switch to a new windows PC.

I still use MMW4 and the new PC has WIN11. I
carefully read your wiki guide to switch the library to a new PC but it seems to be a nightmare to do so.

So here are my questions. Which track/album informations are stored in the mp3 files? I don't use much of playlists or ratings. So maybe a complete new install (now with MMW5) should be quite easier to me).

But will this keep all the track /album infos like year, genre, track interpret? Or is this only stored in the DB of MM? Also, when MMA is on the new PC and I want to sync to MMA2 is the library on the android device the same or do I also have to install MMA2 with library completely new?

The archive with the mp3 tracks is on an external hardrive and should work with the new computer. So for this I wouldn't change anything.
MMA 2.0.0.1167 + MMW5 + Orbsmart S86 pro ( android 9) + Orbsmart remote AM1 pro + Nova-Launcher + Moto E22 (android 12) Teufel One M + Teufel One S + Teufel Supreme On Bluetooth
Lowlander

Re: Switching to new Hardwarw

Post by Lowlander »

You need the MediaMonkey database file as it contains all this information, However all that metadata is also saved to the MP3 files themselves by default.

I'd take the database to the new PC: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Is the better way to first switch on the old PC from MM4 to MM5 or doesn't matter this?
MMA 2.0.0.1167 + MMW5 + Orbsmart S86 pro ( android 9) + Orbsmart remote AM1 pro + Nova-Launcher + Moto E22 (android 12) Teufel One M + Teufel One S + Teufel Supreme On Bluetooth
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I would keep the version between the 2 PC's the same, so yes, I'd first upgrade to MM5 on the old PC (can do a Portable Install), then switch PC's.
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

Today I switched to MMW5 and everything seems to be working fine :D

The database was moved to MMW5 and my license also. It looks pretty good with a fresh look. So I like the new version. Now I have to discover all....

Unfortunately the switching to the new PC has to wait, as I'm very busy at work.

Thanks for your help so far.