[REQ] Playing queue can't sort

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Wwallacecds

[REQ] Playing queue can't sort

Post by Wwallacecds »

The android version does not have a way to sort or randomize when your in the queue.
Yes I can move files to the top and bottom or hold the 3 bars and move around, but it's very time consuming if you have a large queue.
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Playing queue can't sort

Post by Lowlander »

You do have Shuffle available to play randomly through the Playing queue.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Yes, as pointed out by LL, you can use shuffle. But in the long term, I agree--MMA should behave more like MMW in this regard (i.e. in a manner such that randomizing the playing queue allows the randomized order to be visible).

-Rusty
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

The shuffle function in MMA and MM5 usually only plays the songs that I listen to more often. But there are many more that just don't get played. It doesn't matter which song I start listening to in the playlist.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

I have already documented this for MMA 1.4.xx, in version MMA 2.0.0.1063 the look is different but just as functional.

Same goes for anything in "Home Screens" where this icon (Quick Shuffle) appears - SHUFFLE TO NOW PLAYING:

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

The problem that existed in previous versions still exists in 2.0

Even with shuffle, MMA has a tendency to completely ignore tracks. It somehow focuses on a narrow band of tracks.

My daily process is to select a "genre", then select "tracks". Then "shuffle" and then start playing the tracks.

With over 1,000 individual tracks / songs in the genre "JAZZ", I shouldn't hear the same tracks multiple times within a 2 hour period.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

The Problem that the same Songs are played over and over again in shuffle I found in MM5 and also in MMA. Many Songs remain unrecorded and therefore load in the sinking. Much too good for the many good Songs.
The shuffle function should be revised.

You rarely play through the entire playlist, there are too many songs for that. It is noticeable, however, that the same songs are played again and again in different orders.
Last edited by 1001Musik on Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
WiFi Syncing

Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Wir sind hier im MMAndroid-Forum.
Ich weiß nicht, wie ich es noch erklären soll - ich versuche es nochmals:

Mit dieser Methode wird KEIN Song ausgelassen: MMAndroid Version 1.x oder 2.x:

Egal, aus welchem Bereich Sie abspielen wollen (Playlists, Tracks, Album, ...) es funktioniert nach dieser Methode IMMER fehlerfrei.
Step 1: deaktivier SHUFFLE
Step 2: aktiviere REPEATE ALL TRACKS
Step 3: schließe und starte MMAndroid
Step 4: öffne eine bestimme Playliste und drücke auf SHUFFLE TO NOW PLAYING

Die Playliste wird nach NOW PLAYING übertragen und dort erst durchgemischt.
MMA beginnt beim ersten Song zu spielen und spielt alle weiteren Songs bis zum Ende von NOW PLAYING.

Natürlich können Sie MMA auch beenden und später dort fortsetzten, wo sie die Wiedergabe abgebrochen haben, indem Sie im Navigationsbereich (NowPlaying) auf Wiedergabe drücken.

Google-Übersetzung:
We are here on the MMAndroid forum.
I don't know how else to explain it - I'll try again:

This method will NOT skip any song: MMAndroid version 1.x or 2.x:
It doesn't matter from which area you want to play (playlists, tracks, album, ...) this method ALWAYS works without errors.
MMAndroid version 1.x or 2.x:
Step 1: disable SHUFFLE
Step 2: enable REPEAT ALL TRACKS
Step 3: Close and start MMAndroid
Step 4: open a specific playlist and press SHUFFLE TO NOW PLAYING

The playlist is transferred to NOW PLAYING and only mixed up there.
MMA starts playing from the first song and continues to play all subsequent songs until the end of NOW PLAYING.

Of course, you can also exit MMA and later resume where you left off by pressing Play in the navigation panel (NowPlaying).

dkstott

Post by dkstott »

That's a very convoluted process.

There shouldn't be any need to go through such a convoluted process to simply shuffle music without getting repeats. Shuffling 1,000 tracks shouldn't result in hearing repeated music within 2 hours. MMA shouldn't randomly ignore tracks either.

I just don't understand why MMA can't simply shuffle all tracks & ignore previously played tracks without needing special instructions, syncing, playlist, etc.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

dkstott wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:09 am That's a very convoluted process.

I just don't understand why MMA can't simply shuffle all tracks & ignore previously played tracks without needing special instructions, syncing, playlist, etc.
You speak to me from the soul. I keep hearing the same songs in mixed order, but many songs are left out. This does not only apply to MMA, but also to MM5 and MM4.
WiFi Syncing

Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Habt ihr meine Anleitung in MMAndroid getestet? Ich glaube nicht. Dies ist mein letzter Beitrag zu diesem Thema.
Have you tested my instructions in MMAndroid? I don't believe. This is my last post on this topic.
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

Have I tried your process ?

The simple answer is No.

Simply because it a convoluted "work around" to try to force MMA to do something it should do intrinsically as part of shuffling.

It's definitely NOT something that I feel that I need to remember how to do just before going out for a daily jog, hike or getting on a treadmill.

Shuffled music should automatically play all tracks without repeating or ignoring tracks.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Erwin,
MMW 5.1 will be implementing a new approach to shuffling that eliminates the duplication of functionality between 'Shuffle' and 'Randomize' functions there.

dkstott,
You're absolutely right that 'shuffle' should be random without workarounds. But I think you might be misunderstanding Erwin. MMA currently has 2 types of Shuffle functions:
1) In the Playing view -- (shuffle enabled / shuffle disabled): when enabled it mixes the order in which tracks in the queue are played. I believe that this is the functionality that some believe isn't fully random (though I have yet to prove it). This function, when enabled, causes whatever has been adedd to the Playing list to play out of order.
2) In most views that display tracks -- (Play shuffled): when clicked, this adds whatever is displayed to the Playing queue in random order, and the tracks display in the playing queue in the randomized order in which they play.

From what I understand, Erwin is just suggesting that you use the second approach and not the first.

-Rusty
dkstott

Post by dkstott »

my understanding of Erwin's approach is that it utilizes playlists.. I've looked it and don't see how it could apply to my process that doesn't utilize playlists.

Here's my daily process;

Open MMA, select "Genre" and then depending on my mood, I select a specific Genre to play... Then I select "tracks" within that genre.

My desire '/ expectation is to then have MMA randomly play all those tracks without REPEATS. If for whatever reason I need to stop. I want MMA to resume the process at the last track played..

I under that with genre's with smaller track listings, there will be repeats. But my jazz, Rock and Classical genre tracks each contain over 1,000 tracks. There shouldn't be any repeats for several days or weeks depending on how long I play MMA

Selecting "shuffle" for my process seems to work except for 2 VERY annoying problems..

#1 MMA has a tendency over a short period (days to a week) to fixate on select tracks within that "Genre" and will play them several times over a 2-3 hour time frame as part of the shuffling This will happen to me daily. It was documented in previous version's of MMA and still exists in MMA2.

My only solution to this in the past has been to delete those tracks completely from the library on my phone to stop MMA from playing them.

#2 Using "shuffle", MMA has a tendency to completely ignore new tracks that have been added to the "Genre".

If you, Erwin & others have a solution to this that doesn't require playlists & works with my above process, I'm all ears for it

FWIW... Within this thread, Lowlander has suggested "shuffle" & Erwin suggests his method.. Can we get to experts at MM to consolidate to a recommended process for this issue and publish it in WIKI or someplace?

Dave
rusty

Post by rusty »

So the solution being suggested would be to not use the 'Shuffle' functionality in Playing and instead use the 'Shuffle all' functionality in e.g. 'Jazz'. This is confusing because the terminology of 'Shuffle' vs 'Shuffle all' seems the same but actually refer to 2 completely different functions, so I'll describe what I mean:

1) In the 'Playing' view, there's a 'Shuffle' toggle. If enabled, that toggle causes the player to randomly choose from among items in the Playing queue. The downside of this approach is that there's no way to actually see the order of items in the queue. Disable 'Shuffle'.

2) In Music > Genres > Jazz, at the top, you'll see a 'Shuffle all' button. Tap this button to add all Jazz tracks to the Playing queue in random order. This approach lets you see and preserves the order of the tracks in the Playing queue.

Does this help/clarify?

-Rusty

p.s. In MMW 5.1 we're going to try to use the second approach to the exclusion of the first--i.e. always preserve/display the shuffled order of tracks in the Playing queue (this will hopefully improve usability, and eliminate confusion caused by the 2 very similar functions). If the approach works well, we'd like to extend this to MMA.