MMW5 Sleep Timer Error

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bereantrb

MMW5 Sleep Timer Error

Post by bereantrb »

Multiple times I have gotten an error when using the sleep timer in v5. The popup dialog reads:
"Application Error
Application throw an exception Invalid pointer operation
Would you like to restart MediaMonkey in Safe mode?"

and the buttons to restart MM or continue. Clicking 'continue' closes the error dialog, cancels the timer and returns to MM.

The timer runs fine for a while, including fade out, but at some point it throws an error and the timer no longer works and the volume is reset. I don't know exactly how long it plays before the error since I'm asleep or not nearby.

I would really love to see this fixed since I use that feature a lot. I never had problems in v4. I do have the most current version: 5.0.4.2690. Thanks for any help.
Peke

Re: MMW5 Sleep Timer Error

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am trying to trigger error for past 4h and Sleep Timer worked every time.

Can you share your settings, along your PC power settings as it is possible that they overlap, which causes bug and I wanto to replicate the issue?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bereantrb

Post by bereantrb »

Thanks for the reply.

I doesn't happen every time for me either. It's just happened at least several times in recent months.

My PC is not set to sleep. Only my monitors go off after 15 min idle.

I haven't yet gotten too granular but since answers aren't obvious, I'll try to monitor more closely any correlation with other open apps or events that may trigger the error.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thx, that would help us lot, or at least it will possibly narrow where the problem is.

FYI thanks to you I more often use Sleep function than before. Really handy feature liek to know when to take a break from looking in monitor ;)
Best regards,
Peke
bereantrb

Post by bereantrb »

UPDATE: I've isolated the problem. It appears there is a conflict when my monitors go to sleep.

Details:
--For unrelated reasons, I had occasion to do a clean install of Win10. I eventually got back around to installing MM but even after that I got the same error I originally described and another problem described below (it had happened once or twice before, but was rare.)
--Re-reading my original post I see I didn't mention that the problem occurred when I had the sleep timer set to 'shutdown' or 'sleep' - the only way I ever use it.
--I tested the do 'nothing' option and had no problems.
--I tested the shutdown option a couple nights ago. The music faded, I did not get the application error, but the next morning, I found my PC still on. I moved my mouse to wake the monitors and saw the popup saying that the computer will shut down in 59, 58, 57... seconds. Which meant that it only started the countdown after the monitors were back on.
--I tried it again with the sleep option and got the same result: the popup hung until my monitors were back on.
--I set my monitors to never sleep and both MM sleep and shutdown options work as they're supposed to with no errors (so far) and no hangs.

So I'm happy to know I can work around it, but I prefer to have my monitors turn off after a period (especially at night which is when I most use the sleep timer). I hope this helps and let me know if I can provide any additional information.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sorry for late reply.

Can you check one more thing in your settings for sleep.

In Power and sleep Windows options check if Turn of monitor and put PC to sleep not the same and even if they are not try these steps:
1. Monitor Off: 2 Min
2. PC to Sleep: 5 Min
3. Start play in MM
4. Set MM sleep to 3 minutes
5. Wait 6 Min or till MM stops playback.

For me it worked 50/50 times without issue.
Best regards,
Peke