Files in Goodsync temp folder show as second entries for the same song

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Forrykook

Files in Goodsync temp folder show as second entries for the same song

Post by Forrykook »

I use Goodsync to mirror my whole music collection between my laptop and media pc. Goodsync creates a folder called _gsdata_ in both locations, (which is usually a hidden folder), in which it keeps a copy of changes made in case of wanting to undo changes.
Previous versions of Mediamonkey had the ability to exclude this folder from the library monitor, but MM5 doesn't. Sometimes I discover 2 instances of songs or a whole album in the library and when I check the properties one of the files is in the normal location, (music\artist\album), and the other one is in (music\_gsdata_).
I can't figure out how to stop this from occurring. The only way I know to deal with it is to manually delete every second one. Another way to do it would be to add a location and manually check every artist folder under D:\music except for the _gsdata_ folder and the parent folder (D:\music), but there are hundreds and it would take ages and wouldn't automatically add the folders of new artists that I add.
There must be an easier way to prevent any saved songs and albums in the _gsdata_ folder from showing up as second entries for those songs.
Bring back the exclude from library monitor option.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Files in Goodsync temp folder show as second entries for the same song

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi ForryKook,

If I understand the problem correctly, then try this:

In the Add/Rescan File To The Library, add the folder location for each _gsdata_ and then set the schedule to manual. Now un-check the box to the left for the location line(s) added.

I use this - for example - to exclude my Drive:\Playlists folder to stop MMW adding my Playlist backups to the Imported Playlists sub-node.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
Forrykook

Post by Forrykook »

Thanks for that idea. In Windows I changed the view to show hidden folders and then closed MM5 then opened it again and tried to do this but the _gsdata_ folder does not show in the tree under D:\Music in the Add/Rescan dialogue. I might try restarting the pc while "show hidden folders" is selected and try again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So, you can't (and never could) exclude sub-folders for a selected folder from scanning. However hidden folders/files should be ignored.

The best practice would be not to have anything you don't want scanned in the folder you're scanning (music).

For starters you can remove the incorrect _gsdata_ files from the Music > Location node in the Media Tree. Then rescan and see if they get added back.

Do you have Folder Monitoring enabled? Perhaps during Goodsync operations on the files they're temporarily not set to hidden and being picked up that way.