The <Artist> vs <Artist>, The

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

TheEmpathicEar

The <Artist> vs <Artist>, The

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

This is about The Weeknd OR Weeknd, The? I had 4 albums with "The Weeknd". The last one I ripped with DBPowerAMP ripped "Weeknd, The". What should I do? I think the correct way for this artist is "The Weeknd"
dtsig

Re: The <Artist> vs <Artist>, The

Post by dtsig »

I prefer The Who better than Who, The
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just change the tag to The Weeknd if lookup gets it wrong. MediaMonkey can ignore prefixes, so it will still be sorted under W.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:32 pm Just change the tag to The Weekend if lookup gets it wrong. MediaMonkey can ignore prefixes, so it will still be sorted under W.
Sounds good. What about tags that have more than one artist? i.e. Where the artist [or another field] have The Weeknd; "another random artist"?
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Artist: Jennifer Lopez
I change to Multi-Artist: Jennifer Lopez; erwin
Global search: it finds both terms

Nodes: Artist - one entry each for "Jennifer Lopez" and one entry for "erwin"
Is that so hard to test?

OR: Artist is Howard Carpendale & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Nodes: Artist - one entry "Howard Carpendale & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra"

OR: Artist is Jerry Lee Lewis Ft. B.B. King (Ft.=Featuring)

My attitude: Ignore prefixes: the;die
This makes it easy to compare and possibly change in the column filter - e.g.:
beatles
The Beatles

EDIT: "I think the correct way for this artist is "The Weeknd""
Yes, I would change that too.
I have a lot of cover songs. There I always write the original artist in the field: Comment.
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends, multi-value fields will be shown under the individual values of the multi-values, but in a list with multiple values it will sorted under the first value.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I deleted the rip from DBPowerAMP using Windows Explorer. I am trying to use MM5 most of the time now. But, I did something incorrect. When I search Weeknd in "Artists" in MM5, I get both MP3s and references to CDAs. Only the MP3s are physically with the rest of Weeknd's stuff. The CDAs are on the CD.
Now, what do I do? I have ripped CDs using MM5 successfully before. I'm not sure what I did wrong? I guess I need to remove those references in the database to CDAs?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you have .cda files in MediaMonkey you've likely scanned the CD in. As .cda files don't work without the CD inserted you can remove them from the MediaMonkey Library. As you mention you already have the .mp3's for the CD you can use those instead.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

TheEmpathicEar wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 pm This is about The Weeknd OR Weeknd, The? I had 4 albums with "The Weeknd". The last one I ripped with DBPowerAMP ripped "Weeknd, The".
dBpoweramp has configuration options to control this behaviour
Erwin Hanzl wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:57 am I have a lot of cover songs. There I always write the original artist in the field: Comment.
You mean that you write the original artist name in the Comment tag?
You know that there is an Original Artist tag for that?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:53 pm If you have .cda files in MediaMonkey you've likely scanned the CD in. As .cda files don't work without the CD inserted you can remove them from the MediaMonkey Library. As you mention you already have the .mp3's for the CD you can use those instead.
What's the best way to eliminate the CDA references from the library?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

TheEmpathicEar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:43 am What's the best way to eliminate the CDA references from the library?
Open EntireLibrary and filter to extension=cda, then Select All, and use option Remove.
Steps:
  • Open EntireLibrary (or Music or ClassicalMusic) in the media tree, go to List or ListBYAlbum View
  • open the Advanced Filter facility, by clicking the Funnel on the toolbar
  • setup the filter like this ... I have filtered to mp3, but you should filter to .cda
  • review the (now) filtered list in the Main Panel; satisfy yourself that it is just showing .cda files
  • press Ctrl+A keys to select all
  • do a double check: look at the status bar, and make sure that the number of selected tracks is about what you expected
  • press Delete key, and take option Remove From Database Only
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I am not sure I understood all that. Isn't there a way to do this within the context of album that has both MP3s and CDAs?
Last edited by TheEmpathicEar on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can sort on the Extension column.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Thanks guys! I figured out how to do what @Barry4679 was talking about above.

MM5 is an "avalanche" of features and options. As long as you don't get buried, LOL, it really can do quite a lot. :-?
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I just another rip of Post Malone's latest CD. I ended up with both MP3s and CDAs again. I need some concrete steps to follow or what not to do.
EDIT: Also, after both rips, when I am in GRIDbyALBUM View, usually I can start typing a search for album names in between any two albums. It does not work [or I am doing something wrong] until I close MM5 and restart.
Last edited by TheEmpathicEar on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.